• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine Rebuild: Where To Buy Parts?

scoopyg

Hello from Columbus.   Well,  the M10 needs rebuilt.  So where is the best place to purchase piston sets and bearing sets?  What else will the machine shop need?   Seals too I guess.  The cylinder walls will need punched out.

If anyone knows of a good source for these engine re-build parts, send me an email at  richardreau@hotmail.com.

Thanks all!   RR

Ireland Engineering for pistons and lots of other performance bits, autohausaz.com and blunttech.com for OEM stuff.

Oak's Machine Shop in Logan did a good job on my M10 (despite not really specializing in BMWs, but the M10 is simple enough).

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

Buy forged pistons.  We had to do a ton of prep work to the cast pistons, and they varied in size pretty dramatically. From the wrist pin fitment, the weight, to the overall diameter, we had to work them over way too much.. My machinist hated me. The $ saved in the purchase of cast pistons was more than doubled in labor $ (good thing I wasn't paying for it!). Forged pistons are apparently much more consistent and really just need measured to confirm that they are all properly matched.

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

If you don't have a good machine shop in the Cols area picked out, I can recommend Performance Clinic here in Beavercreek (east side of Dayton).  They did all the machine work and reassembly of my engine in 2004 and it's been running flawlessly for all 40k miles since.  He also did a neat job of lightening my 228mm flywheel.  

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Hello from Columbus.   Well,  the M10 needs rebuilt.  So where is the best place to purchase piston sets and bearing sets?  What else will the machine shop need?   Seals too I guess.  The cylinder walls will need punched out.

If anyone knows of a good source for these engine re-build parts, send me an email at  richardreau@hotmail.com.

Thanks all!   RR

Hi

Have you decided on a machine shop in Columbus or nearby?

(1973 Fjord Blue 037) Vin 2588314- Build date February 6th, 1973- delivered to Hoffman Motors NYC February 8th.