• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

rstclark
Go to solution Solved by Guest_anonymous,

Just purchased a 76 2002 on a whim and now I need to give it some attention.  The starter motor turns very slowly but does start  Somewhere I read that a 530i starter can be installed for greater power Does anyone know the details   Like what years to use  Is it a simple bolt up swap  If this is not true, What is a good option for a faster turning and stronger starter  ?

s14 starter works well and is about half the size/weight of a standard 02 starter. 

I know that an m30 starter works and is even smaller than the s14 starter, but I don't remember the designation or part number of this piece. I know that it's currently on my car now. I'll take a look and see what I can find. 

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

Buy a new starter not a remanufactured one. I had a remanufactured starter die after 3 weeks in the car and it's not a daily driver.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

The problem may also be the rear armature bushing...it's pressed into a plastic sleeve, and over time the sleeve disintegrates, allowing the bushing to spin with the armature, inflicting a serious drag on the motor.  

Some years ago I did a Roundel column on how to repair this; drop me an e-mail with your e-mail address and I'll send you a copy.  Lots cheaper than a replacement starter motor.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

+1 for the S14 Bosch starter. Ordered mine from Blunt find him here on the board. You can replace without removing the alternator. In my ca it made a huge difference. You probably want to renew your battery cables at the same time and clean up the grounds. The difference is massive, it turns over much faster and the car starts very easily.

+1 for the S14 Bosch starter. Ordered mine from Blunt find him here on the board. You can replace without removing the alternator. In my ca it made a huge difference. You probably want to renew your battery cables at the same time and clean up the grounds. The difference is massive, it turns over much faster and the car starts very easily.

Good to know. I didn't want to remove the alternator and deal with the belt and fan, etc. The less I disturb the better. I recently changed my battery cables (from Blunt), put in a fresh battery and cleaned all my grounds. Thanks!

Sorry for the thread hijack rstclark.

mike tunney

Wow   Thanks to all for the tremendous replies  I decided to go for the rebuilt S14.. Smaller lighter faster  Just what I was looking for

I will check the armature on the one coming out just for fun  Don't think it's a timing issue as it works the same cold or hot.  It just groans along like an old six volt starter  PS  I did try a search first but didn't find anything

Thanks again to everyone

Rob