• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

123 Ignition Distributor....any Info Or Personal Experience?

jrhone

I took Grice's lead and just ordered the 123Tune from   http://www.brits-n-p...20-518-520.aspx  for $326 plus shipping and paypal fee. My total for all that was $369.20. If you go to their site, the price shows higher but they will then subtract the 19% VAT tax if you are ordering it from the states.

Edited by peterschop

just about to dive in an purchase my 123 dizzy from bitsandbobs..

it suggests that i should use a flame thrower coil and their high perofmance leads.

another website suggests that i should use a bosche blue coil

which is best to use? also if i were to use a flame thrower would i need to wire in a resistor?

it suggests that i should use a flame thrower coil and their high perofmance leads.

which is best to use? also if i were to use a flame thrower would i need to wire in a resistor?

I'm using Bosch blue coil, remake from Brasil :/ and works good. I think this is good for street car, if you want to race they suggest to use their Big fat spark product... Quite pricy but huge difference on high revving engines...

Best regards

Blaz

I'm using Bosch blue coil, remake from Brasil :/ and works good. I think this is good for street car, if you want to race they suggest to use their Big fat spark product... Quite pricy but huge difference on high revving engines...

ive seen this more and more, im going to go with the blue coil and the 123 ingition. at the moment ill just get the blue bosch and get some nice new leads to go with it. then once i can afford it im going to get the 123 and take it tuning place to get it rolling roaded (Y)

Edited by larryt

For a street car, there's no need to spend extra $$$ on a fancy coil...any standard coil will work just fine.  Black, blue, or red...Make sure you have the wiring correct and use a resistor where needed.

I use Red coil with the ceramic resistor.

Ed

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

I'm debating between getting the switchable 123 model with the 16 built in curves or the Tune model.  The switchable one comes with a built in curve that mimics the 2002tii 008 distributor which should be fine for my stock tii engine.  It looks like the Tune model always comes with the vacuum port on the side?  I guess you just plug it if you don't need it?  The switchable one comes with or without the vacuum port.

John 

Edited by JohnS

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

I'm debating between getting the switchable 123 model with the 16 built in curves or the Tune model....

For me, the tune version is the way to go.  Why? you ask:

• Vacuum advance really crisps up partial throttle performance (and mileage, I suspect)
  • You can play with the advance point by point across the curve, allowing you to get the most out of your motor for the conditions you drive under.

For an extra $50, I find that to be good value.  Then again, I am not always the voice of reason

74 2002tii (Sputter) - Not entirely stock - Over 18K miles since full restoration in 2014

15 BMW X5 diesel (the bombed out roads of Houston finally won)

The main/only reason I might choose the switchable is the lack of the vacuum port on the side because my '73 uses a mechanical advance now.  Also ... I know myself ...  With the Tune model, I'll be constantly dicking around with it for ever ... :D

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

The main/only reason I might choose the switchable is the lack of the vacuum port on the side because my '73 uses a mechanical advance now.  Also ... I know myself ...  With the Tune model, I'll be constantly dicking around with it for ever ... :D

John, you own three 40 year old cars.  If you don't like dicking with cars, you have made some suboptimal life choices

• Haha 1

74 2002tii (Sputter) - Not entirely stock - Over 18K miles since full restoration in 2014

15 BMW X5 diesel (the bombed out roads of Houston finally won)

I'm debating between getting the switchable 123 model with the 16 built in curves or the Tune model.  The switchable one comes with a built in curve that mimics the 2002tii 008 distributor which should be fine for my stock tii engine.  It looks like the Tune model always comes with the vacuum port on the side?  I guess you just plug it if you don't need it?  The switchable one comes with or without the vacuum port.

John 

Go back to the first page of this thread and reread post #14, TIMING AND VACUUM ADVANCE 101, posted by Jason. It explains why you should buy and use the vacuum model. 

John, you own three 40 year old cars.  If you don't like dicking with cars, you have made some suboptimal life choices

Those three cars of mine are the only cars I own and drive.  I guess I should see a therapist ;)   I try my best to do everything myself on them ... Thanks to the FAQ :)   Just not sure if I need more to mess around with ...  I'm becoming more of a set it and drive the crap out of it kinda-guy in my old age :D  

Edited by JohnS

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

Go back to the first page of this thread and reread post #14, TIMING AND VACUUM ADVANCE 101, posted by Jason. It explains why you should buy and use the vacuum model. 

I will do that.  Hopefully I will learn something.  Jason is a good bloke.  I like his Scheel seat adapters :)

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

As for me, I'm keeping my old coil.

Much has been written about coils for our cars and it should be the same if you are using the 123 or not. You should have a total resistance of about 3.0 ohms, coil plus resistor. If you decide to go with the Blue coil, make sure the resistor wire is removed since it is already 3.0 ohms. If you click on Brits n Pices high performance coil link you will find this:

Our recommendation

123ignition systems:

PerTronix ignitor and points:

Edited by peterschop