• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

123 Ignition Distributor....any Info Or Personal Experience?

jrhone

22 hours ago, 123Ignitionusa said:

No David I keep looking. However your unit is here waiting on you. I was going to give you a call today, my apologies, the day just got away from me so let me know what's a good time for you to pick it up this weekend.

Ed

Thanks. Sent you an email.

-David

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport
'10 Honda Odyssey Family & Stuff Hauler

On 4/20/2016 at 9:52 PM, xferboy said:

Interesting:  I finally got my car out today for the first time this year, and it seemed slow, and was 'shooting ducks' above 5K.  Tune 2 didn't change that much.

after finishing blizzard (my penance for spending time in the garage), I hooked up the computer, and the curve has reverted to factory.

It would have been off since last November and not started until a couple of weeks ago. (4 months?)

Anyone else run into this?

After reading your experience, I thought I better check to make sure my advance curves hadn't changed over the winter. My car sat for nearly five months with the battery disconnected and never started. I just hooked it up to my computer to check them. Yup, still there. Nothing changed.

My Bluetooth version just arrived last night from Germany. With some help from Ed, I plan on installing it at MidAmerica. I am so looking forward to this. My current distributor is a very sloppy 321-188-002 JFD4 with no vacuum advance. My engine is very similar to Peter's. This will be a much needed improvement. 

'76 Stone Gray 2002

'83 blue R80RT, '83 red R80RT,

'16 Alpine White Xdrive 328d Touring

BMW2002FAQ #502

Installed one a few weeks ago, just bought the switchable one, no bluetooth or USB. Vern runs better than ever, so smooth at all RPMs used to have a spot at 2100 that seemed flat and the car would pulsate while driving at 60-65, that's gone now. Also put one in my 3.0 CSi, difference is amazing over the original distributor who's curve has changed over 43 years.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

20 minutes ago, adawil2002 said:

Installed one a few weeks ago, just bought the switchable one, no bluetooth or USB. Vern runs better than ever, so smooth at all RPMs used to have a spot at 2100 that seemed flat and the car would pulsate while driving at 60-65, that's gone now. Also put one in my 3.0 CSi, difference is amazing over the original distributor who's curve has changed over 43 years.

Andrew,

with the switchable model on your tii, did you select the setting that mimics the tii 008 distributor?  Thanks,

John

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

3 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Andrew,

with the switchable model on your tii, did you select the setting that mimics the tii 008 distributor?  Thanks,

John

Yes, stock Tii curve. 

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

On April 26, 2016 at 10:27 AM, darrinm1 said:

My Bluetooth version just arrived last night from Germany. With some help from Ed, I plan on installing it at MidAmerica. I am so looking forward to this. My current distributor is a very sloppy 321-188-002 JFD4 with no vacuum advance. My engine is very similar to Peter's. This will be a much needed improvement. 

I installed the Bluetooth version at MidAmerica and the results are amazing. Before the event we were playing around with it in the conference room of the hotel. There is no way to communicate to the Bluetooth version unless it has power, it was suggested we use a 9 volt battery to power it up, connect and load the curve. It worked!!! We were able to sit at the table and look ate the software. It was a bare wire connection, so not reliable. I would suggest a 9 volt pigtail to hook up to before it goes into the car. After we dropped it in we were able to communicate effectively, until I started the car and went out for the drive on Friday. I tried to connect without any luck and for a couple of days since. This morning I got an email from Eric Frenkin at Brits and Pieces where I bought the unit. He said, "This is what you can try:

- Make sure no Bluetooth devices are searching for the TUNE+ (shut off your Ipad)
- Connect the black wire of the ignition to the red wire. (looks like short circuit, but it is protected)

- Power the ignition (red and black wire together)
- The bluetooth LED will flash for about 10-15 seconds and after this it will give you continued lighting and everything will work again.
- Connect the black wire back as normal.

If your PIN code doesn't work anymore after resetting, please try 1234."

It worked. I was able to reestablish communications and works as it should. It feels like I found a hidden 25 horsepower! Great product.

'76 Stone Gray 2002

BMW2002FAQ #502

2 minutes ago, darrinm1 said:

I installed the Bluetooth version at MidAmerica and the results are amazing. Before the event we were playing around with it in the conference room of the hotel. There is no way to communicate to the Bluetooth version unless it has power, it was suggested we use a 9 volt battery to power it up, connect and load the curve. It worked!!! We were able to sit at the table and look ate the software. It was a bare wire connection, so not reliable. I would suggest a 9 volt pigtail to hook up to before it goes into the car. After we dropped it in we were able to communicate effectively, until I started the car and went out for the drive on Friday. I tried to connect without any luck and for a couple of days since. This morning I got an email from Eric Frenkin at Brits and Pieces where I bought the unit. He said, "This is what you can try:

- Make sure no Bluetooth devices are searching for the TUNE+ (shut off your Ipad)
- Connect the black wire of the ignition to the red wire. (looks like short circuit, but it is protected)

- Power the ignition (red and black wire together)
- The bluetooth LED will flash for about 10-15 seconds and after this it will give you continued lighting and everything will work again.
- Connect the black wire back as normal.

If your PIN code doesn't work anymore after resetting, please try 1234."

It worked. I was able to reestablish communications and works as it should. It feels like I found a hidden 25 horsepower! Great product.

Oh and Thanks to Ed and Peter for their help.

'76 Stone Gray 2002

BMW2002FAQ #502

Glad it's working for you!!  Mine has a different issue so not sure that will fix it. I'm sending mine back for a firmware update that they say will solve the issue. Mine connects every time but I can't adjust curves if the car has been on for a while. Mine was an early beta unit so new units should be ok. 

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

10 hours ago, darrinm1 said:

Glad you got it working! Nice to know there's a reset "switch" in there.

Mine did great on the drive home--premium got rid of the lingering light pinging under load, but I still have a lot of tweaking to do on my curves. I think I'll set up one for premium and another for regular, just in case I'm feeling cheap. Even as it is, it's much smoother coming off idle and starts like a dream.

And I'll second the big thanks to Ed--it meant a lot to have you lending your experience.

-Dave

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport

Absolutely my pleasure to help out. I'd open your dizzy cap and re-establish that the LED is just coming on. I did turn it while we were checking with the timing light and I'd bet it's not exactly where it should be. 

Do that, then tweak the curves on your laptop. 

....sure love your car. It's a beauty. 

Ed

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

Thanks, Ed. I was planning on checking the LED, but considering the curve was working for me, I wanted to leave it alone until I got home.

And you're too kind about the car--it's far from perfect, but I love it anyway. Yours ain't no slouch, either.

-David

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport

An easy way to check to see that the distributor is in the right location with out resetting the engine to TDC and then looking for the green light is to put one of your set points at 25* at a given rpm. You can then use your timing light to make sure the "BB" (which is 25*) is at the rpm you programed in. I have mine set to 25* at 1400 rpm.