• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

123 Ignition Distributor....any Info Or Personal Experience?

jrhone

• 2 weeks later...
When the yellow wire is grounded it should be on curve #2

Do you have to switch between GND and 12 to swap curves, or can you switch to 12v and float (not connected) to swap? or alternately tie to ground and float the yellow input?

ie do you need a Double Pole  Single throw (one side connected 12, the other to GND and the center off to the 123) or can you just have a Single Pole, tied to 12v (similar to a light switch)?

I can make up diagrams if required if that would clear things up

I want to use my rear defrost switch to switch the curve.  When it's off, it would float the input.  This can always be fixed with a relay, but simpler is better.

Thanks

Allan

Edited by xferboy

I didn't find the wiring diagram confusing - if the yellow wire is disconnected (completely) then it reads map 1. If it's connected to a 12v feed it reads map 2. At least that's how I understand it and with the yellow wire temporarily left unattached it's reading map 1. 

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

What NickVyse said. I ran my 123 for about a month before I connected the yellow wire. It just stayed on curve #1. Your rear defrost switch is perfect for switching the yellow wire. I would have used it but it is already being used for another purpose. I did take the 12V from the power side of the rear defrost switch for the yellow wire and then ran it through a single pole switch back to the distributor.  I do like having the switch accessible from the drivers seat, allowing you to switch curves while driving. 

Where I found the wiring diagram confusing, it does not show the yellow wire going through a switch to 12V.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Ok guys, help me out here...I finally had some time to hook up my laptop and record some data from the 123. I have a stock M10 with Weber 40 DCOE and IE shorty headers and full stainless exhaust. The car feels pretty good...I still have some occasional hesitation and backfires during low RPM steady cruising, but it pulls hard through the RPM range.

Below are some of the numbers I wrote down while driving today and I've attached a screen shot of my tune settings. Please let me know what you think.

Idle: 1,000 RPM | Advance 13-14 | -.6 Bar

2,000 RPM Cruise: Advance 30 | -4.5 Bar

2,500 RPM Cruise: Advance 32-33 | -.3 Bar

3,000 RPM Cruise: Advance 38-39 | -.1 Bar (too much advance?)

WOT: Advance 39 drops to 33 | 0 Bar (too much advance?)

post-45423-0-98613800-1446949432_thumb.p

Edited by Beach_Bum

Ok guys, help me out here...I finally had some time to hook up my laptop and record some data from the 123. I have a stock M10 with Weber 40 DCOE and IE shorty headers and full stainless exhaust. The car feels pretty good...I still have some occasional hesitation and backfires during low RPM steady cruising, but it pulls hard through the RPM range.

Below are some of the numbers I wrote down while driving today and I've attached a screen shot of my tune settings. Please let me know what you think.

Idle: 1,000 RPM | Advance 13-14 | -.6 Bar

2,000 RPM Cruise: Advance 30 | -4.5 Bar

2,500 RPM Cruise: Advance 32-33 | -.3 Bar

3,000 RPM Cruise: Advance 38-39 | -.1 Bar  (too much advance?)

WOT: Advance 39 drops to 33 | 0 Bar   (too much advance?)

uqTaqUz.png?1

Exact same trouble I had with a totally stock 1600...fabulous everywhere but sometimes a low RPM cruise stumble. I never got it sorted before the engine teardown

Exact same trouble I had with a totally stock 1600...fabulous everywhere but sometimes a low RPM cruise stumble. I never got it sorted before the engine teardown

Yeah mine did it a bit when it was completely stock too. It got real bad when I first put the carbs on, but Steve, Zinz, Wolf, etc. really helped me out to get it running better. Then I switched to the 123, and again it was better, but still stumbles and backfires on occasion.

Have you put yours back together yet? If so how's it run now?

Yeah mine did it a bit when it was completely stock too. It got real bad when I first put the carbs on, but Steve, Zinz, Wolf, etc. really helped me out to get it running better. Then I switched to the 123, and again it was better, but still stumbles and backfires on occasion.

Have you put yours back together yet? If so how's it run now?

Still not back together....I just got all the engine parts back from the machinist last week, so reassembly time is upon me!