• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

123 Ignition Distributor....any Info Or Personal Experience?

jrhone

It's weird, having driven lots of cars with no tacho you would think it isn't a problem to lose it (for street driving at least :) ).

I completed a CDI ignition conversion recently and the tacho output didn't drive my tacho so I had to order and await a suitable tacho adapter. Can't believe how stressful it was (and I have a rev limiter as well).

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

Sorry if I missed it reading through, but what percent of you are running stock engines? I have a stock M10 with a Weber 32/36 carb and it stumbles on decelleration. My points need to be refreshed and replacing the distributor is on my medium-term list.

I'm new to 2002's - would the 123 dizzy be a good upgrade? Or is this more oriented towards well-tuned, modified M10s? If there's more reading to do, please point me to it, but I got kind of lost in all the curves and discussion in this thread.

I am running a stock engine although the block and head are from a 1977 e21 2.0 liter with no performances mods with a 32/36 carb. I consider my engine to be in good tune with valve adjustment, sparkplugs and wires and a rebuilt and jetted weber 32/36 and a good cooling system. My car came with two worn and needy distributors, on one the pertronix type ignitor failed which I replaced with a new pertronix ignitor. My vacuum advance module did not work. It never ran as good as I would have liked. Then I installed the 123. Both performance and gas mileage went up. I would say it was the best thing that I have done to my engine. As far as driving pleasure, the 123, new shocks and springs and a 5 speed transmission. 

Well tuned? Yes as they all should be. Modified? Don't need to be. Distributors are a wear item and sooner or later need to be rebuilt or replaced. I say go for it. I'm glad I did.

Must be apple I can't find it in android Google Play

Don't they brief you about new products? The Australian dealer didn't know anything about the Bluetooth version either.

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

Yes. It's an apple iOS app. I am told the distributor is in final testing stages and will not be available for a few more months for sale. I'll have a full write up and review soon. With holiday season here it's tough to find time to properly install and assess it.

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

I am running a stock engine although the block and head are from a 1977 e21 2.0 liter with no performances mods with a 32/36 carb. I consider my engine to be in good tune with valve adjustment, sparkplugs and wires and a rebuilt and jetted weber 32/36 and a good cooling system. My car came with two worn and needy distributors, on one the pertronix type ignitor failed which I replaced with a new pertronix ignitor. My vacuum advance module did not work. It never ran as good as I would have liked. Then I installed the 123. Both performance and gas mileage went up. I would say it was the best thing that I have done to my engine. As far as driving pleasure, the 123, new shocks and springs and a 5 speed transmission. 

Well tuned? Yes as they all should be. Modified? Don't need to be. Distributors are a wear item and sooner or later need to be rebuilt or replaced. I say go for it. I'm glad I did.

Thanks for the response. Did you consider using an electronic ignition system? What's the advantages/disadvantages of using the 123 dizzy?

Did you not read the 7 pages of info about these?   How it works, Pros, Cons, Comparisons, Alternatives, Why's/Why Nots.. all there for your reading enjoyment.  

Thanks for the response. Did you consider using an electronic ignition system? What's the advantages/disadvantages of using the 123 dizzy?

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

Did you not read the 7 pages of info about these?   How it works, Pros, Cons, Comparisons, Alternatives, Why's/Why Nots.. all there for your reading enjoyment.  

Yea, I did read the prior pages. I guess I was asking for advantages/disadvantages versus an electronic ignition specifically. Even though I've read through this post and many others on the FAQ on the subject, I'm still quite new to this all. I was interested a direct comparison (as opposed to a bunch of posts talking about how owners thought each respective option was an upgrade over the original distributor). 

A couple of advantages are as follows.
Re:BMW 4-R-V Switched model
1.) Accurate timing every time once dialed in.
Cons:
When adding or subtracting advance it effects the whole curve.

Re: Tune 4-R-V-B
1.)Stores two curves selectable on the fly using a switch. (not provided)
2.)Has a stop watch feature for tuning when no dyno is available.
3.)Fully programmable. Easy as data entry...
4.)Once set perfect timing every time.
My favorite and I feel the most important is the following.
5.)You can adjust any point along the advance curve without effecting the whole

6.) Program in 8000 for your rev limit and it disables the rev limiter. Enter any number below 8000 to enable. Great for hi revving race engines.

Edited by 123Ignitionusa