• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

123 Ignition Distributor....any Info Or Personal Experience?

jrhone

Ok..  I'll fill you in.  There are many electronic points conversions, which offer no control other than what is in the distributor..Pertronix, HotSpark, Crane, etc. And a few standalone electronic distributor-less conversions, which do allow you to control spark. But these require parts outside of just the brain box, and are labor intensive..  123 looks stock and contains the computer, replaces a tired stock distributor, and offers a fully programmable timing curve (at which place the spark happens, in degrees of rotation, before the piston is at exactly the top of its stroke.. AKA, Before Top dead Center/ BTDC) that you can tweak to exactly what your motor likes.  Every motor is different, and having the ability to make finite changes to really get the most out of your motor is imperative.. at any level.  

123 gives you this tool, in a simple package that doesn't look like a conversion at all. 

I used to have a Crane XR3000 box mounted on the inner fender near the distributor.  Now its clean as a whistle.. 

IMG_5258.jpg

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

... versus an electronic ignition specifically

That's not very specific. Which electronic ignition? 123Tune is an 'electronic ignition'.

Can you describe the differences between a bear and a mammal please? ;) j/k

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

• 2 weeks later...

For those interested in the Blue Tooth version. There is a limited number in use now, five to be exact. They are still working out any bugs that may appear and hope to make a full release in May 2016. If you would like to be informed as soon as they come available please join my mailing list.

• 1 month later...

Anyone running theirs on a forced induction engine with efi? I can't decide if my boosted engine build will have a system that does both fuel and spark, or two separate systems: one for spark, one for fuel. hmmmm this makes me want to use this distributor for spark and SDS or something for fuel...Thoughts?

With the MAP sensor connected no doubt you could use it but surely an integrated system would be better? It's not like you are going for a stock look.

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

• 4 weeks later...

Don't they brief you about new products? The Australian dealer didn't know anything about the Bluetooth version either.

Simeon, who is the Australian Dealer?, have you used them yet? and more importantly, are they able to sell the 123 at a reasonably competitive price? I don't mind paying some premium to buy from a local supplier, just not the 100% + premium that is often the case. 

http://123ignition.com.au

He quoted me $660 plus $15 postage. He doesn't list BMW on his site but he can get either the Tune or the version with set curves. Might want to recheck that since the AUD has tanked.

rtheriaque wrote:

http://123ignition.com.au He quoted me $660 plus $15 postage. He doesn't list BMW on his site but he can get either the Tune or the version with set curves. Might want to recheck that since the AUD has tanked.

For those of us in the colonies, http://www.brits-n-pieces.com/ got me one in less than a week from Germany to Canada.  I'm used to waiting 2 weeks for stuff from the same continent.

With shipping, it was $560 CND, which was less than what the US dealer was charging in USD  (about 1.30 US to CDN at the time)

I tried waiting for the Canadian dealer to fill his stock order, got sick of waiting (2+months), ordered from brits-n-pieces, and couldn't have been happier.  In fact, I still haven't heard if he got his stock order (9 months later now)

• 1 month later...

Interesting:  I finally got my car out today for the first time this year, and it seemed slow, and was 'shooting ducks' above 5K.  Tune 2 didn't change that much.

after finishing blizzard (my penance for spending time in the garage), I hooked up the computer, and the curve has reverted to factory.

It would have been off since last November and not started until a couple of weeks ago. (4 months?)

Anyone else run into this?

21 hours ago, xferboy said:

Interesting:  I finally got my car out today for the first time this year, and it seemed slow, and was 'shooting ducks' above 5K.  Tune 2 didn't change that much.

after finishing blizzard (my penance for spending time in the garage), I hooked up the computer, and the curve has reverted to factory.

It would have been off since last November and not started until a couple of weeks ago. (4 months?)

Anyone else run into this?

Was the car on a Battery Tender or did you disconnect the battery?  I would bet there is a small battery in it to retain data for a short period of time if there is no power connected.  No personal knowledge, just how most electronics work nowadays.

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

1 minute ago, jrhone said:

Was the car on a Battery Tender or did you disconnect the battery?  I would bet there is a small battery in it to retain data for a short period of time if there is no power connected.  No personal knowledge, just how most electronics work nowadays.

Battery was disconnected, but the device is powered via + on the coil, which is only powered when the key is in start or run.  (or when plugged into USB) 

I'd bet on the 4 month time out.  I'll see next april :)

I'm a bit late to the party, but have had an Ireland Engineering mechanical advance dizzy ($180) on my '76 2002 for almost a year. It has a Pertonix-like device in place of points and works wonderfully. Seems to be more spunky than before.

1976 2002 Inka

2008 M5 Sapphire Black Metallic, 6-speed

2 hours ago, 123Ignitionusa said:

BLUE Tooth has arrived. If you are interested see www.123ignitionusa.com

Ed

Ed, 

Any update on the ETA of the Android app? The mother ship is still saying "coming soon" on their website.

-David

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport
'10 Honda Odyssey Family & Stuff Hauler