• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

• 2 years later...

Coming back to this topic, I see that many owners have switched to a 3.91 LSD.  What do most folks do with their speedometers in this case?  If sent for a speedo re-cal, do they change out a gear in the speedo, or just make it read correctly at a particular speed?

(Here in Switzerland they test at 50 kmh.  As long as that reads correctly, they accept the speed indication.)

1972 BMW Inka 2002Tii  ?

1974 BMW Turkis 3.0 CSi ?

1972 MBZ Weiss 280SE 4.5 

2006 BMW Cobalt 530i (38,700 m original)

2 hours ago, Swiss 2002Tii said:

Coming back to this topic, I see that many owners have switched to a 3.91 LSD.  What do most folks do with their speedometers in this case?  If sent for a speedo re-cal, do they change out a gear in the speedo, or just make it read correctly at a particular speed?

(Here in Switzerland they test at 50 kmh.  As long as that reads correctly, they accept the speed indication.)

Can't answer your recalibration question, but can offer a potential alternative. 

I bought a new speedometer for a 1976 from Walloth & Nesch. They came with a 3.90 rear diff in the US. It reads dead accurate according to some of the radar signs I drive past. Not sure if there's a metric equivalent though. 

Speedo accuracy really doesn't matter here though. I'd imagine most just live with the 10% error. 

Brent

1974 2002 - Megasquirt and turbo

2018 BMW M2/ 2013 Porsche Cayenne Diesel

2 minutes ago, bento said:

Can't answer your recalibration question, but can offer a potential alternative. 

I bought a new speedometer for a 1976 from Walloth & Nesch. They came with a 3.90 rear diff in the US. It reads dead accurate according to some of the radar signs I drive past. Not sure if there's a metric equivalent though. 

Speedo accuracy really doesn't matter here though. I'd imagine most just live with the 10% error. 

What was the ratio on the front diff in '76?

:D

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Opened up my diff the other day and counted 42/10 on the gearing wheels. So that would make it 4.2 ratio on the diff right? And that would make it a diff for higher top speed? Correct me if I' m talking nonsense this makes sense to me lol.

The guy also welded these things on my diff:

Feelsbadman it's no LSD, was really hoping for it haha!

JP

IMG_4195.JPG

5 hours ago, dhr.vdw said:

Opened up my diff the other day and counted 42/10 on the gearing wheels. So that would make it 4.2 ratio on the diff right? And that would make it a diff for higher top speed? Correct me if I' m talking nonsense this makes sense to me lol.

The guy also welded these things on my diff:

Feelsbadman it's no LSD, was really hoping for it haha!

JP

IMG_4195.JPG

I think you might want to do a recount - probably 41:10, which is a short ratio better for acceleration than top speed. 

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

6 hours ago, NickVyse said:

I think you might want to do a recount - probably 41:10, which is a short ratio better for acceleration than top speed. 

Haha I really thought it was 42, but then I guess I am wrong indeed. Oh I thought high speeds but what you're saying makes sense tho. So the big wheel makes a 360 degrees turn and the smaller one(s) turn like 4.1 time then.

Maybe I should've studied something technical or at least do my homework before buying my car, my knowledge is useless when it comes to cars. :P

JP