• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuse Box Restoration Guide

Rocan

i have not looked....did you submit your write as an article so it won't get lost with time?

Not yet Marsh... I'll have to remember to do so. 

1974 Grey European Market BMW 2002 

1976 Yellow BMW 2002 "GOLDENROD" SOLD

1972 Yellow Austin Mini 1000

A bunch of Bikes...

Awesome writeup! I don't have the fuse box card, but I'll be happy to attempt a replica in Photoshop if someone had a card they wanted to send my way. I can return it after getting dimensions. Just a thought, PM me if you have one you want to share.

But great writeup!!

"It is better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not."

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the excellent idea and writeup!  If it helps anyone, I scanned the color grid from my 72 2002 tii just for comparison.  Should be 1:1 if anyone needs one, though I'd hold out for a better one if anyone has one they can scan?  I think laminating is probably a good idea judging from the wear on mine:

post-33739-0-95387100-1419230990_thumb.j

I noticed my fuse box has multiple cross terminals, not something I've seen on the standard 2002 fuse boxes:

post-33739-0-37351500-1419231018_thumb.j

Save a little time if you plan on making a gasket - print this off for a pattern.  Once again 1:1, and would be great if anyone wants to do some vector art and have a batch of these made; or just cut one out for yourself with an x-acto knife:

post-33739-0-76999600-1419445441_thumb.j

• 1 year later...

Thank you for this great guide on how to clean and restore.

I just cleaned my fuse box as per the instructions and it worked just as described—awesome!! :)

Mine was all dry and brittle so I scraped it out and now am looking to make a replacement.

I couldn't find that BMW offers any OEM replacements gaskets for the bottom to body seal. Looks like I will need to make my own.

Tom02, I saw that you made a new gasket—thank you for the 1:1 template. What material did you use. In your photo, it looks like some sort of dense foam? How thick is the material?

Thank you for your feedback

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Great write-up...

added to my to do list!   PO drilled a hole in the plastic case to add alarm system without sealing the hole...  

BMW - 1976 2002, 2003 m3, 2007 335i

Mercedes - 2015 C63 amg edition “507”, 2003 SL55 amg, 1983 380SL 

Audi - 2013 A6 supercharged,  2002 Allroad 2.7  

Porsche - 1993 968

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Did this today. Was super straightforward thanks to your great instructions. Immediately resolved a lazy driving light on the right side. Replaced all fuses with a set from Maximillian Importing. Was momentarily thrown off that it came with 25 amp fuses, which I didn't need/use. Looks like those are required for cars with A/C upgrades. I ripped mine out, so all is fine :)