• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dual Webers Benefits

PetrolJunky

Hello,

I am in love with the look of the two carbs on a '02, the question, is ther a benefit or does it just look cool and I am sure it is a pain to keep them running perfect.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/classifieds/item/4039-600-shipped-italian-weber-40-dcoe-kit/

Thanks for any advise,

Matt

Current: nada

Sold: 1974 Inka 2002tii ($15,500), 1974 Polaris 2002tii ($8k), 1975 Polaris 2002 ($1,800), 1973 Colorado 2002 ($10k), 1967 Sahara 1600 ($11,500), F10 //M5 ($42k), E60 //M5 ($15,500)

Classic Car Scrapper: https://petroljunky.com

You typically see that carb set-up in concert with higher compression pistons, a 292 cam (at least), an aftermarket or tii exhaust header, electronic or-more-trick-than-that ignition, etc.  Then the engine can really use them.  

In any case they make the engine look like a racing engine, and sound really great.  Two of my 02 buddies near me (including the above poster) have that set-up with the hotter build.  Pretty cool - doesn't get better than that in my view.

Scott

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

Is this a daily driver car? If the answer is yes, then I wouldn't recommend it. I converted my weekend car with a pair or new Spanish 40's using the crappy Canon manifolds.  The noise is awesome and power is up - but driving around town isn't a smooth affair.

The carbs stay pretty much in tune I've found, but it's getting the carbs to open up synchronously is a real problem.

The issue with my setup I believe is the crappy two piece Canon intake manifold.  I could not get the carbs to bolt up "squarely" with one another, which is causing the synching issue when throttle is applied.  One carb is sitting higher and further in towards the head, even after much fiddling and filing of metal.  I would highly recommend using the Ireland Eng one piece manifold (which I will give a try when I get some free time).

The set of 40's you looking at seem to be a decent deal - it comes with a cable linkage.  You still will need to source a 320i water outlet, metal coolant bypass tube, and and switch fuel pumps to either E3 Bavaria or and electric jobbie.

George

I would be very skeptical of used carbs unless I observed on a running car -

I don't mean any aspersion on the Seller, just the nature of the beast

So, I would buy new ones and know everything is right prior to install

We had a Lambo we imported thru California - had 6 dual 45's.

Here is how we adjusted the 12 adjustment screws:

We didn't touch them !!!

Nut (fka weevil)

My Claim To Fame - Worked On Harmon Fisher's Car !!! Yes the infamous 2002 F !!!

# 1 72 '02 Malaga, # 2 72 '02 Colorado, # 3 72 '02 Blue, # 4 72 '02 Malaga, # 5 72 tii, # 6 68 1602, # 17 68/76 '02 Custom Red, # 28 74 '02 Brown Metallic, 72 3.0 Csi, 73 3.0Csi, 80 735 Euro, 728 Parts Car

Do it. You will not be disappointed....that is assuming you like to tinker. Do a compression test first. get your current setup working perfect.  Lots of myths surrounding the dcoe, but they are relatively straightforward. It helps to have a WB/o2, a synchrometer, several size jets, etc. Take your time and make the throttle cable really work well. Make sure the carbs are in good condition prior to install.

Don't mash your foot, learn where the sweet spot is and they(at least mine)work great and get surprisingly good mileage.

Expect a lot of frustration, followed by glorious grunts :D

bob

71 2002

85 M635

89 327is

98 M3

Is your engine already modified with a bigger cam and headers? DO IT. Stock motor?...I wouldn't bother.

I installed my Solex DDHTs over a year ago and you couldn't pay me to go back to a Weber 32/36...

The advice above is dead-on.  Do your homework and expect to do some tinkering. Just do it right and the end result won't disappoint.  But like I say, they will work best on a modified engine.

My engine has 292 cam, long-tube header and Tii dizzy with Pertronix.  It idles great and my usual mileage is just a pube under 25mpg running at 70-75 on the highway.  Best I ever got was 27mpg on the highway, right after I installed them.  Commuting to work I get 21mpg... all of this when I'm not heavy on the foot-feed.  Honestly, though... they sound so amazing, I'm always in it. :)

...and yes, they look great (maybe we need a "Show Us Your SideDrafts" thread?)

post-42878-0-08661600-1416601287_thumb.j

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

I couldn't agree more with Zinz, I have 2 45DHLA Dellortos, 292 Cam, Ireland stepped header, & Crane 7000 ignition , so much fun to drive, I recently built a higher compression bottom end & the car is a blast to drive. I drive it every day to work & track it at Willow Springs big track. Fun meter is off the scale. Mid 20's  mpg too , smooth in traffic , idles at 500 rpm no issues at all.

DO IT

1970 4 speed 2002 (Daily driver/track car ) 
1974  Hybrid powered twin cam engine, Pig Cheeks , ( now a round tail.) Getting ready to Sell 

Are you a pure pragmatist, or a total romantic? That is the first question. Do you love high performance, is the sound of weber carburetors Gobbling in air, sucking in the atmosphere something that you have ever heard before? BBBWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, REDLINE do it again, heel toe brake-double clutch, blip the throttle, drop into second, power out of the corner rotating the car in a Slowdrift with controlled slip angle oversteer. Have you ever seen 1950/60s Ferrari v 12 s with Weber carburetors, or thought that you couldn't imagine anything more lovely than Borrani wire wheels ? Do you know what Alpina it is, the first Alpina modifications were to put twin Weber carburetors on the BMW 1600 four-door. Until the invention of fuel injection, all high-performance cars whether they were Ferraris Lamborghinis Loti etc Utilized Weber carburetors, because they were the best. I grew up listening to  Weber DCOE carburetors on my dads BMW 2000 tilux , it had no air cleaners on it and the sound of twin DCOE Webbers fully opened up is unlike anything else in the universe. Look at the racing pictures on a recent thread of vintage racing shots, the cars you're looking at , most have dual Weber set ups. It's not about looking Cool it's about amazing performance, and old-school purity, the very soul of a high-performance m 10 motor and all of BMWs early high-performance history.  No Weber carburetors are not difficult to keep set up and running correctly. I have done it for the last 30+ years, and rarely have to change the tune on them once they are set up properly. You will suffer somewhat in fuel economy, but it is absolutely worth it. 

Are you a participant, or spectator in life? Do you like food, do you know how to cook? Your level of involvement with the universe will directly add to the quality of your existence. Forgive me, but really your question points to a basic philosophy of life. Do you want to own an object, or experience a deeper meaning in life. Is it about owning something, or the experience of driving it and working on it. Some people want their car to be an appliance that they drive, and other people want it to be an intoxicating, deeply involving experience. A hot rodded BMW 2002 can be both-dependable and unbelievably exhilarating.  Fight apathy with commitment --go ahead live large.  Don't forget the hot cam, high compression pistons, and a good header.   Cheers, and wishing you all the best. Don't forget, there is no such thing as too much fun.      Peter

post-39399-0-87325900-1416614272_thumb.j

post-39399-0-39349000-1416614469_thumb.j

post-39399-0-83659100-1416614524_thumb.j

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The First thing is to have an untroubled mind. The Second thing is to know your purpose. Illigitimati Non Carborundum

I have a e60 with 523hp and straight exhast... yeah I like it all loud and fast

I just dont want to be messing with it all the time if it is a pain to deal with.

Loud, fast and nimble.. perfect

Current: nada

Sold: 1974 Inka 2002tii ($15,500), 1974 Polaris 2002tii ($8k), 1975 Polaris 2002 ($1,800), 1973 Colorado 2002 ($10k), 1967 Sahara 1600 ($11,500), F10 //M5 ($42k), E60 //M5 ($15,500)

Classic Car Scrapper: https://petroljunky.com

Are you a pure pragmatist, or a total romantic? That is the first question. Do you love high performance, is the sound of weber carburetors Gobbling in air, sucking in the atmosphere something that you have ever heard before? BBBWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, REDLINE do it again, heel toe brake-double clutch, blip the throttle, drop into second, power out of the corner rotating the car in a Slowdrift with controlled slip angle oversteer. Have you ever seen 1950/60s Ferrari v 12 s with Weber carburetors, or thought that you couldn't imagine anything more lovely than Borrani wire wheels ? Do you know what Alpina it is, the first Alpina modifications were to put twin Weber carburetors on the BMW 1600 four-door. Until the invention of fuel injection, all high-performance cars whether they were Ferraris Lamborghinis Loti etc Utilized Weber carburetors, because they were the best. I grew up listening to  Weber DCOE carburetors on my dads BMW 2000 tilux , it had no air cleaners on it and the sound of twin DCOE Webbers fully opened up is unlike anything else in the universe. Look at the racing pictures on a recent thread of vintage racing shots, the cars you're looking at , most have dual Weber set ups. It's not about looking Cool it's about amazing performance, and old-school purity, the very soul of a high-performance m 10 motor and all of BMWs early high-performance history.  No Weber carburetors are not difficult to keep set up and running correctly. I have done it for the last 30+ years, and rarely have to change the tune on them once they are set up properly. You will suffer somewhat in fuel economy, but it is absolutely worth it. 

Are you a participant, or spectator in life? Do you like food, do you know how to cook? Your level of involvement with the universe will directly add to the quality of your existence. Forgive me, but really your question points to a basic philosophy of life. Do you want to own an object, or experience a deeper meaning in life. Is it about owning something, or the experience of driving it and working on it. Some people want their car to be an appliance that they drive, and other people want it to be an intoxicating, deeply involving experience. A hot rodded BMW 2002 can be both-dependable and unbelievably exhilarating.  Fight apathy with commitment --go ahead live large.  Don't forget the hot cam, high compression pistons, and a good header.   Cheers, and wishing you all the best. Don't forget, there is no such thing as too much fun.      Peter

Wow, I was think about going fuel injection but after reading this, I guess I will have to start looking for a pair of DCOE's and build my engine.   

Post of the year!

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.