• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

single line, two piston brake caliper question

Mikepelly

• 7 months later...

bumping this thread from the dead.

From what I gather, a simple upgrade for 1600 brakes is to use e21 calipers? These should be direct bolt-on except for the brake line.

Can someone confirm this?

I have e21 hubs if I need to completely swap the hubs/rotors/calipers. Though if swapping calipers is sufficient, I'd rather do that. 

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

Alfa Romeo single line calipers from:

https://www.centerlinealfa.com/braking-system/433

http://www.carid.com/cardone/remanufactured-front-driver-side-disc-brake-caliper-mpn-19-881.html?gclid=CMOLwbHY78YCFYqCvQod9AkHfA#product-details-tab

I got my from a late 70s Alfetta.

There are 2 types of single line 2 piston brake calipers used on the 1600 and early (1968) 2002. The very early style uses a different brake line which is mounted off center towards the top of the caliper while the later style uses the more simple brake line mounted at the center of the caliper. They are interchangeable. If you look around, you may be able to find remanufactured units for very cheap.

SLavs

Yes,

The Alfetta calipers fit with stock steelies.

Some Alfas use the vented rotor like the 77 320i. The Alfeta series GTV 6 uses such a vented rotor. It has calipers identical to the 77 320i, except with the added benefit that they are aluminum and built by Brembo.

So, you have to make sure that the Alfetta in question has the solid disks.

I found an Alfetta sedan at the junkyard. And, I used the calipers on my 69 1600. They were a perfect fit and identical to my stock calipers, made by ATE.

Slavs

When I first got my '72 nevada running, it needed calipers and I had some nos '77 320i calipers in a box gathering dust. I'm not sure why but I decided to run them, along with vented '77 e21 rotors. I plugged the unused line ports on my new '02 master cylinder. To my surprise, the new ATE rotors were too large in diameter to allow the calipers to bolt up. I had to put them on my brake lathe , position the drum cutting bar in an unorthodox manner, and reduce the overall diameter of the rotors by about 6mm. I verified the part numbers just to make sure the parts were what they were supposed to be. YMMV

Budweiser...It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Avatar photo courtesy K. Kreeger, my2002tii.com ©