• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Car will not start.

aholderith
Go to solution Solved by Mike Self,

If its not turning over at all, you have a problem either with the ignition switch, the starter relay/solenoid, or the starter itself.

Try bypassing the switch and putting 12V power to terminal 50 of the starter (the one with the spade connector).

Edited by Rob S

Rob S
'69 2002; '04 330i ZHP; 2018 X1; 2014 535i; 2017 340i

What year?  Stick or auto? tii or not? Do lights work?  Do you have voltage at the battery?

Symptoms?  Do you get a click when you turn the key?  Try it with the lights on.  Do they dim when the key is in the start position?

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

If the headlights work, problem may be that starter is not getting full juice. Could be terminals on battery, or connections on big cable to starter and/or ground straps from block to frame. If you try using jumper cable to starter, be very careful. I'd start by cleaning all the connection points.

If it is a 74 your problem is most likely the ignition interlock relay it was a 74 only deal that made you fasten you seat belt before the car would start if the seat was occupied. Most owners figured out pretty quickly that you could just unplug the seat wires and fool the system into thinking no one was in the seat. This worked fine until the relay its self failed the you would come up with a electrical system that did every thing it should except let the starter spin.     

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Why is it people post up a problem , lots of answers given & questions asked all trying to help & no response from the OP ?  weird .

1970 4 speed 2002 (Daily driver/track car ) 
1974  Hybrid powered twin cam engine, Pig Cheeks , ( now a round tail.) Getting ready to Sell 

He does indeed have a '74:

Posted by aholderith on 20 December 2014 - 02:10 PM in '02 General Discussion

Hello everyone, I am new to the FAQ having just purchased a '74 Chamonix....

As posted above, battery terminals/grounds and seat belt switches seem like the place to start.

With Christmas behind us, FAQ traffic should pick back up, I hope... the suspense is killing me.

Edited by '76Mintgrun'02

What year?  Stick or auto? tii or not? Do lights work?  Do you have voltage at the battery?

Symptoms?  Do you get a click when you turn the key?  Try it with the lights on.  Do they dim when the key is in the start position?

74, stick, lights work, voltage at the battery.

just a electronic sounding "click" when the key is turned. headlights dim in the start position.