• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Car will not start.

aholderith
Go to solution Solved by Mike Self,

Perhaps some more info would help: The man who sold it to us called before we picked it up and said that there were only ~2 volts running across the wire from the ignition switch to the starter, so he was jumping it. Well, we got there and he jumped it like he said no problem.  

We got the car back from VT where we bought it and tried to start it to get it off the trailer, also it was raining. I jumped the lead from the battery directly to the starter as my dad turned the key from the car. It cranked, but wouldn't start. We  tired again, and the car seemed to sputter and begin to crank on its own. I did not disconnect the starter immediately, but once i did the car stopped, and would not even turn over anymore. A final note, each time we tried there were rather large sparks shooting out from the starter area.

So far we have replaced both the starter and ignition switch, both of which were due for their replacement anyway.

We are going out to get a battery tomorrow to see if that will fix our problems.

Thank you very much for all the help, I appreciate it very much. We have tried every method mentioned so far.

• Solution

Coupla more things--

Check the ground strap (the big one) that runs from the negative battery post to the engine block, and then the small one that runs to the car's body.  Both need to be clean and tight at each end.  

Did you try connecting a jumper wire from the + battery terminal to the small wire terminal onthe starter solenoid (thus bypassing the ignition switch and its associated wiring) and see if that works.  If it does, then the problem is with the ignition switch, wiring or associated relays.  

And you may have already run this check, but when you turn the key to start with the headlights on, do they appreciably dim?  If they do, then the starter is getting its requisite volts and amps, but just isn't working.  If the lights don't dim, then the starter isn't getting any (or very little) current.  

The fact that the seller said there was only 2 volts at the ignition switch tells me there's a problem either with the wiring (if the headlights stay bright) or the battery (if the headlights are dim).

Let us know whatcha find...an intriguing problem...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Hello everyone. Sorry for the late response. We checked the signal wire to the starter and it was not getting enough current. We replaced this wire and charged the battery.... and the engine turned over! We went to the auto parts store, replaced the battery and got some proper gauge wire for the starter signal cable and voila, the car started up no problem. Thank you very much for all your help, it was very much appreciated.