• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carpet / Upholstery Replacement

flagoworld

Hey guys,

Here I am with my shiny red '74, but it has a few issues. Nothing too big, but first I need to deal with this nasty carpet.

I played around a bit to figure out how to remove the seats. Was way easier than I'd expect. Then I went around the sides of the car unbolting things to pull out the upholstery.

I found a couple annoying things, such as the e-brake mount is breaking off and rust under the seat sliding mounts.

Question: There is foam and masonite, and some other material along the front of the interior as well as just above the shifter. I'd like to remove it all as it is wet. That should work out fine, yes? Anyone have any input on what to replace it with? Carpet kits don't seem to come with replacement for all that stuff, though I can easily get my hands on it from any old hardware store.

Seats removed

Passenger seat removed

Driver seat removed

Broken e-brake mount

No carpet

Nasty old carpet

'74 Verona

That sound deadener with foam and masonite seems pretty effective.  Can you just remove it and let it dry and put it back?  I like the foam/rubber/foam pieces on the front floors as well.  While I was patching and painting my floors, I drove it with all that removed.  It really made me appreciate the difference it makes, when I put it back.  

There are a variety of self adhesive sound deadener sheets you can buy.  The original tar mats can hide rusty floors.  Have you looked under them for rust?  The dry ice/alcohol trick seems most effective when removing them.

Can I assume you are fixing what ever problem is letting water in?  

As for the one piece carpet, I used a pressure washer on mine, once it was out of the car.  It cleaned it up nicely, so I put it back.  It does not look new, but matches the look of the rest of my car.

Ah, that makes sense. It all just peeled right off. I am just going to go to Home Depot and buy some replacement foam and masonite, as the existing in the car is just plain wrecked.

As for the carpet, I was thinking of just sewing together a new carpet set myself. It's pretty basic and I have the original as a template. I don't mind making it several pieces... in fact I think having seams will look better.

The leak is coming from one of the door seals, and, yes it will be fixed. It's not exposed to the rain so I don't have to rush it.

Edit: Note that, unfortunately, the existing carpet is too damaged to morally re-use.

Edited by flagoworld

'74 Verona

Ah, that makes sense. It all just peeled right off. I am just going to go to Home Depot and buy some replacement foam and masonite, as the existing in the car is just plain wrecked.

my suggestion...if you have all the old stuff off the floors, when you're at home depot or lowe's look in the roof flashing section for a roll of Butyl window/door flashing/sealer...it's approx 8 inches wide, self adhesive, inexpensive and is the same stuff as fatmat, etc just without the inflated cost...

I bought 5 rolls of the Home Depot sound deadener. I even doubled it up in front to replace the Masonite/Foam part that was factory. Mine was intact but extremely UGLY and could not bring myself to leave it in. I know  I could have cut my own carpet pieces but the sewn edges look very nice so I went with an "Esty" kit.

Esty Carpet (3)

Center console build full view

Edited by chargin

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

Butyl window/door flashing/sealer...it's approx 8 inches wide, self adhesive, inexpensive and is the same stuff as fatmat, etc just without the inflated cost...

Thanks for that tip.  I got a quote from an auto parts store for fatmat @ $10/sqft.  Crazy.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

Anyone know a good source for carpet that i can cut up myself? Is there a specific term for this type of carpet? House carpet for instance has gnarly adhesive that i definitely dont want...

@esty i'd buy your kit, but i want to do as much myself as i can :]

Edited by flagoworld

'74 Verona