• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carpet / Upholstery Replacement

flagoworld

My standards are lower than many on this forum (most?), but I pressure washed my original one piece carpet and put it back.  It matches the rest of my 'tired' interior.  

The carpet in the original post might be just fine for a 'driver quality' car, after a good blasting.  

sml_gallery_47953_351_3387289.jpg

It would be a shame to throw it away without trying to clean it.  

It seems like somebody 'less fussy' might like it.

I was impressed with how fast the carpet dried out after washing.

As in 'a matter of minutes' hanging in the sun.

New carpet would be nice.  So would new seat pads and covers.  New paint... why not?  Budget.  (that would be a good name for a dog)

As Steve said recently in another thread, 

Happiness is the natural product of low expectations.

I am not saying you should not go with new.  Just suggesting that your original carpet might make somebody else happy.

My standards are lower than many on this forum (most?), but I pressure washed my original one piece carpet and put it back.  It matches the rest of my 'tired' interior.  

The carpet in the original post might be just fine for a 'driver quality' car, after a good blasting.  

sml_gallery_47953_351_3387289.jpg

It would be a shame to throw it away without trying to clean it.  

It seems like somebody 'less fussy' might like it.

I was impressed with how fast the carpet dried out after washing.

As in 'a matter of minutes' hanging in the sun.

New carpet would be nice.  So would new seat pads and covers.  New paint... why not?  Budget.  (that would be a good name for a dog)

As Steve said recently in another thread, 

I am not saying you should not go with new.  Just suggesting that your original carpet might make somebody else happy.

My '72 carpet comes in 'pieces' so taking it up will be a bit challenging.  I may try to clean them up after removing before going next step.  Generally in good shape although faded (can really tell after taking the console out!), naturally driver's side has the most wear.  I also want to put down the sound deadener as Flago and others have noted, will check out the diy version window flashing today.  Was looking at MurderMat, 40sq ft for @ $120, $145 with shipping.

Original sound deadening is different from roofing product.

http://www.goodspeedmotoring.com/wurth-gm-oem-sound-deadening-pads.html

Wurth GM OEM Sound Deadening Pads are approved by General Motors Corporation and are described in several GM service bulletins. Wurth GM OEM Sound Deadening Pads are non flammable and even paintable. They absorb vibrations in the metal to quiet interior road noise and vibrations.

10 sheets (8 x 20 inches x 1.5mm thick)

Features

• Absorbs vibrations in sheet metal panels

• Sound absorbent material

• Highly flexible at low temperatures

• Easily cut

• Excellent adhesion to bare or primed metal, plastic, concrete, glass and wood

• High impact resistance

• Resistant to abrasion

• Paintable

• Easily applied

NO odor

• OEM appearance and approved

• Resistant to chemicals, oil and grease

• Non flammable

• Excellent sound deadening capacities

• Salt water resistant

http://www.goodspeedmotoring.com/wurth-european-sound-deadening-panels.html

Wurth European Sound Deadening Panels - Wurth sound deadening panels are a heavy duty bitumen based material with a polypropylen covering. Wurth sound deadening panels reduce noise within the car that are due to resonating body panels such as floors, doors etc. Panels are adhesive backed for easy installation. 6 Sheets - 10in. x 22in. x 2mm ea.

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

@Scim

If you look on eBay you can buy some butyl fatmat rolls reasonable. 100foot roll goes for $180

I did the entire interior including inside the rear inner quarter panel below the window up to the

Firewall and I've got a full 50foot roll left to do my

W113 Mercedes this summer.

I've used the Butyl fatmat numerous times before.

This is a item you don't wanna skimp on.

HD stuff is garbage.

Let just say it's kinda like

Harbour freight tools vs Snap on tools.

No comparison . Snap on wins 7 days a week and twice on Sunday's .

Many complain of the tar smell. I have some RAAMmat & Ensolite I hope to install some day...

http://www.raamaudio.com/categories/Mat-and-Foam-Products/

there's no tar in butyl...i've had it in my 76 since 05 and put in a 74 we're working on last year...we've never had a hint of tar smell unless somewhere nearby was having a road repaved

fatmat, RAAMat and lowe's flashing are all self adhesive butyl products

"the "good shit" is expensive but that doesn't mean its more effective than the cheap stuff. Both Peel and Seal and Dynamat are .45 mil... so if they do the same thing you aint doing nothing but spending extra money for nothing"

http://www.layitlow.com/forums/14-car-stereo/234046-peel-seal-vs-dynamat.html

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/screw-dynamat-peel-and-seel-great-sound-dampening-material.711889/

3410022c.jpg

0eb00c30.jpg

Edited by esty

if you'll search around you tube, there's a kid that did an entire VW with the butyl house flashing...take the name off the backing and it could as well have been fatmat, etc or he could have spent several hundred dollars more on the backing with a fancy name...he was smart, in my opinion....but YO DOG, follow your heart, it's your $'s to spend on what you want

also search the web for the difference in butyl and tar and find out that butyl does not smell like tar...i don't know why anyone would say the stuff is crap unless they have tried it and failed or that it smells like tar unless they used tar flashing instead of butyl...

anybody remember in days gone by when we all called any and all copy machines of any brand a xerox machine

another good video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuZvFwV7xDo

comments about the peel & seal from the above video https://www.youtube.com/all_comments?v=tuZvFwV7xDo

Edited by esty

For the love of all things soft and fuzzy, carpets!!!!

1. nbcbird, you the man. I can't express to you enough how grateful I am for you letting me borrow your carpet template. It sure did come in handy!
  2. That said, I first laid down nbcbird's carpet to make sure everything fit OK in my car. Which, for the most part, it did.
  3. I then unrolled my shmancy new home depot carpet (lol) and traced out all the parts. Worth noting I took the picture before almost tracing everything out upside down. Make sure the template pieces are upside down if you're tracing on the bottomside of the carpet.
  4. Cut out my parts and pieces, and voila they fit perfectly.
  5. This week I am going to take them to the upholsterer to get the trim/edging sewn on.

bmw2002 carpet template1

bmw2002 carpet template2

bmw2002 carpet template3

bmw2002 carpet untrimmed1

bmw2002 carpet untrimmed2

'74 Verona

I just read Esty's breakdown of the evolution of the "Esty" kit.

While commendable I found it much easier to buy an Esty kit and spend numerous hours gluing and adjusting the kit to fit my chassis. In the end even my wife was impressed.

post-46690-0-69966000-1427777876_thumb.j

post-46690-0-36806200-1427777973_thumb.j

post-46690-0-38668600-1427778027_thumb.j

post-46690-0-69966000-1427777876_thumb.j

post-46690-0-36806200-1427777973_thumb.j

post-46690-0-38668600-1427778027_thumb.j

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

• 3 weeks later...

Update: I just took my heater box out because I noticed the rim of the hole on the external had some rust. Sure glad I did. Today I get to remove that rust and re-seal the heater box. Maybe i'll open up and inspect the box itself while I have it out.

Someone in this thread mentioned that water might be leaking through there. Looks like some what, for sure. However most of it was definitely coming in through the door weatherstripping. Big holes there.

I'll post pix after I'm done cleaning and reinstalling.

'74 Verona