• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

72 tii OEM Steering Wheel Question: Black or Gray?

COOP

Hello,

The original steering wheel on my '72 tii (same with every other 02 that I've ever encountered with an original steering wheel) is clearly black in color. 

I just acquired a "New Old Stock" steering wheel, still wrapped in the original packaging.  It is distinctly grey in color, almost a battleship gray.

Any insight into this?!  Did they make both colors (highly doubtful)?  Did the original gray color change to black over the past 43 years on all of those old 02s?  Is the black correct and the gray on the NOS wheel incorrect?  Was the gray NOS wheel black at some point but then faded to gray due to storage conditions?

Thank you,

COOP

We'll need photos, but I've never seen a gray 2002 wheel in the 38 years that I've been looking at them.

Thanks John...Will have to wait until the next time I'm at the shop...but for now, it's just as I said:  The 43 year old wheel on my car is black, as is every other original 02 wheel I've ever laid eyes upon.  This NOS one in the wrapper is very obviously gray, just a touch darker than a military ship but nothing even close to black or even dark, charcoal gray.  Very strange!  I haven't agreed to buy it yet and probably won't unless someone here educates me to the effect that these wheels were originally gray which doesn't seem likely...

COOP

We'll need photos, but I've never seen a gray 2002 wheel in the 38 years that I've been looking at them.

Thanks John...Will have to wait until the next time I'm at the shop...but for now, it's just as I said:  The 43 year old wheel on my car is black, as is every other original 02 wheel I've ever laid eyes upon.  This NOS one in the wrapper is very obviously gray, just a touch darker than a military ship but nothing even close to black or even dark, charcoal gray.  Very strange!  I haven't agreed to buy it yet and probably won't unless someone here educates me to the effect that these wheels were originally gray which doesn't seem likely...

COOP

All 2002 steering wheels I've seen are black except Esty's tan NK wheel.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

At least all the US spec 2002s used the same black bus wheel from 1968 on, the only variation being the 72-73 wheels were slightly smaller than the earlier ones, and squarelights used a four spoke wheel with a much larger center pad.  

Wonder if that wheel could have come from either a late NK sedan or an early E3 ("Senior Six", like a 2500/2800/Bavaria)? 

Does your grey wheel have a BMW part number on it?  Then we could look it up on REALOEM...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

At least all the US spec 2002s used the same black bus wheel from 1968 on, the only variation being the 72-73 wheels were slightly smaller than the earlier ones, and squarelights used a four spoke wheel with a much larger center pad. 

Mike, don't forget the metal-spoke "sport" wheel fitted to many 1970 calendar-year cars (like mine). It has exposed black metal spokes with one indentation per spoke, a brushed-metal "cap" at the outer end of each spoke, and the horn button under essentially the same center pad as the regular bus wheel. It also had a leather rim, though I have a wrap on mine since the original leather was falling apart. As you've reported before, they were installed due to either a fire or a strike at the bus wheel factory that year.

02IntDriver.jpg

-Dave

Edited by dlhoovler

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport
'10 Honda Odyssey Family & Stuff Hauler

How did we get 10 replies into this thread without so much as a photograph of the guilty wheel?

Steve

Thank you for steering this thread in the right direction.

1973 Golf Totaled in 1979

1971 Chamonix Sold

1972 Tii Verona Sold

1973 Inka Sold

1971 Malaga Totaled in 1984

1973 Agave Sold

1973 Agave auto Sold

2000 R1150 GS current

How did we get 10 replies into this thread without so much as a photograph of the guilty wheel?

Steve

Lol, it's coming Steve, I promise!  I just need to bust out of work and run down to JP's shop to snap off a few pix.  Hopefully today...

Thanks,

COOP

Lol, it's coming Steve, I promise! I just need to bust out of work and run down to JP's shop to snap off a few pix. Hopefully today...

Thanks,

COOP

OK, COOP. We have a lot of enthusiasm, but only so much patience!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)