• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SOLD: 1968 Polaris BMW 2002 For Sale in Seattle

rustdogbrown

Year:: 1968

Make:: BMW

Model:: 2002

Price:: 11000

SOLD!!!!! 1968 BMW 2002 original Polaris silver car. This is a solid driver, but not a show car. The car is currently at Midnight Motorsport in Seattle for inspection. If you live in Seattle you can view the car there. Here is a summary of what has been done since I have owned it beginning in 2008:

Engine:

Rebuilt motor from a later model BMW. Block dipped and machined to match a set of good used flat top pistons. New bottom end bearings, timing chain, seals, freeze plugs etc. Bath-tub head cylinder reconditioned with new valve stem seals. Stock cam shaft. Nothing fancy - just a thorough rebuild of a stock engine. The crankshaft is an 8 bolt-pattern version (the early cars had a 6-bolt crankshaft). All machine work was accomplished by Autosport Seattle. I assembled it myself. No Leaks. Reconditioned stock radiator.

I have the numbers matching block. The number #2 cylinder wall in the original block has some pitting and would require a 90-91 mm piston after clean-up. Obviously this comes with the car. It is currently a wine rack in my dining room.

Fuel and Intake:

Weber 32/36 and electric fuel pump.

Exhaust:

Ceramic-coated header (Stahl or Stahl Copy). Ireland Exhaust from header back.

Transmission and Differential:

E21 5 speed (3 case) with new input shaft bearing and seals. E21 3.91 LSD.

Front Suspension:

Bilstein HD's and H&R Sport Springs. The previous owner replaced the lower control arms and steering links. The rubber looks pretty fresh, but not polyurethane. Stock anti-roll bar, although I have an upgraded anti-roll bar. Stock hubs.

Rear Suspension:

Bilstein HD's and H&R Sport Springs. Ireland Polyurethane bushings throughout rear subframe. Upgraded anti-roll bar. New subframe mounts = no saggy butt. Rear subframe is from a '69 and later 2002 (early cars have a slightly different subframe)

Brakes:

E21 Single line calipers up front (non-vented), E21 Master cylinder and E21 Rear drum brakes.

Wheels and Tires:

185/70R14 Sumitomo HTR Touring and Vial Basketweaves. The wheels are 14x6 and have a 31 offset in the front and 33 offset in the rear. Wheels have been blasted and clearcoated.

Paint and Body:

The car appears to have had some minor rear end damage at some point. I say minor because there are no weld marks from a new rear clip and the inside of the trunk does not have wrinkles. Having said that, I did removed bondo from the rear driverside quarter panel that was up to 0.25" thick. When I had the car painted I asked the body shop to straighten this rear quarter panel out and that subtle kink that runs along the body (from bumper to bumper). The paint is a basecoat/clearcoat. I removed all of the glass, trim and interior prior to body and paint. The engine compartment was not repainted. Ireland front airdam painted to match.

Later model glass (slight blue tint) was installed all the way around. New seals for all the windows and for the doors.

The belt line trim is in good shape, but not perfect (solid driver trim).

Interior:

Saddle Brown door panels and new matching carpet (multi-piece carpet set). E21 recaro seats (black) and a stock black backseat. Early euro 1600 dash (recovered) with the chrome trim across the front. Shorty center console. The center panel on the short console is blank. I figured the new owner could decide where they want to place the radio and/or gauges. I cannot remember if there was a radio installed previously. I retrofitted 3-point retractable seat belts. A new headliner was installed.

Rust:

The car had some thins spots in the passenger rear floor and drivers front floor. The metal was intact but pitted so I trimmed out the bad sections, shaped some sheet metal patches and welded them in. After that I seam sealed where the metal patches overlapped and then POR-15'd the floors. The spare tire well has typical rust but is still functional. All other typical rust areas are solid.

Electrical:

Electric fuel pump, new heater fan, relocated battery (trunk), Euro turn signal lenses with custom LED lights, Electric cooling fan.

Reason for selling:

Just had another kid and do not drive it enough. Also, I have acquired a family car to look after ('53 Healey) and would like to focus on that. I do not have a financial need to sell it.

Thanks for looking.

post-36237-0-23155300-1420959333_thumb.j

post-36237-0-82459700-1420959449_thumb.j

post-36237-0-39163800-1420959521_thumb.j

post-36237-0-87591300-1420959582_thumb.j

Edited by rustdogbrown