• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear Bearings

Paul Berdoulay

When or why should I replace my rear bearings? I'm replacing my rear suspension bushings and thought while I am in there I could? but should I? I just don't needlessly want to replace "good" old bearings with "good" new bearings. Is there a milage service recommendation. OR, is there some "test" or sound I should be looking for?

Thanks in advance for any help.

A definite case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."  

Replacing rear wheel bearings is a real PITA and really doesn't have much to do with replacing rear suspension bushings--i.e. your bushing replacement isn't gonna make access to the rear wheel bearings easier.  

No need to replace 'em until then need it.  You'll know that because a bearing will start making noise (usually a grinding or swishing sound) long before they lock up.  My two '02s, with 245k and 224k miles have had one wheel bearing replaced between the two of 'em, and it was a rear, probably 20 years ago.  I let my favorite shop do it because it's such a PITA job.  

You'll have enough fun with the bushings...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

With the car

OR, is there some "test" or sound I should be looking for?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Quick test: With rear wheels off ground (and car safely secured, obviously), give tires a 'knock' with the side of your closed hand and 'listen' for play. Or, grab top and bottom of tire and wiggle and feel for play ... if they're not tight, it's an issue. -KB

+1 the above.  

After 40 years and 239,000 miles, I finally got around to replacing rear bearings, just because.  Over those years & miles I had never touched 'em or tried to lube 'em, I just ignored 'em.  I had no noises, no wiggles, no problems.  I can't say they run forever, but .....

Cheers,

Carl

Even on a race car, I replaced them once, greased them well, and ran 10 seasons with no problems...

...and that was because one of 'em was making noise already.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL