• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thinking of installing an E30 M10 with factory EFI

Duddley

Hey all! Long time lurker, first time poster (sort of..)

I picked up my right hand drive '71 2002 almost a year ago from a guy that had it in his barn for over 14 years. It came with a 2ltr Mazda 4 banger that had a bung engine/clutch.

DX2E5r8.jpg

The bugger who owned it previous to the bloke I picked it up from installed it after the original engine shat itself apparently. I figured he must've had this Mazda engine kickin around his shed and decided to chuck it in. It looked as though it can't have been very hard for him as the only modified part of the subframe was an engine mount plate. Oh yeah, and a well bashed up transmission tunnel.

I've since disposed of that gutless Mazda and have been dreaming about what engine to stick in there. 

I'd love an S14 obviously, but I ain't no gold mine owner. I'd love an M20, but that would take a heap of dicking around to get the exhaust headers to clear the steering box (left hand drive remember). Have also thought about something japanese like a Toyota 1JZ or something Nissan as the headers on those all favour RHD (and being in New Zealand, they're everywhere).. But I've decided I want to keep with the brand.

Trying to decide between an M42 or an M10 and am leaning more towards the M10.. The one I have my eye on at the moment is an M10 from an E30 with factory EFI. Here's the photo of the engine from the add..

346385761.jpg

What I'd like to know is if anyone has swapped one of these engines into their 2002 and if the engine mounts are any different. Are these later E30 M10s any better than other M10s without efi?

I've had a search but couldn't find much info, other than people modifying their M10s to use EFI. Good idea or nah? If so, I think I'll take it, give it a bit of a tickle and see how many more ponies I can get out of it with a megasquirt or ITBs or something. 

Sorry for the rant. Will keep it sweeter next time

Edited by Jeff v

Do it. 

If your m10 is still good, use it with the EFI from the e30 stuff. .2 litres isn't much, but neither is 100 stock hp. Build up using the 2.0L block. We'll probably respect you more because of it. 

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

Plusses for the M10:  pretty much bolt in, no mods to the tranny tunnel and modifying the driveshaft to accomodate the 5 speed is pretty easy.  Minuses:  only a couple of hp more than the original carbureted engine.

Plusses for the M42/44 engine:  fits without too much pain, 134/38 hp (more with a chip), a rev-happy engine that goes well with a lightweight 02 body.  Leave the 3.64 diff for great high speed cruising or drop in a 4.11 from a 1600 for great acceleration.  Someone makes conversion mounts to put an M42 in a 2002.  Minuses:  more tranny tunnel bashing to make the tranny fit, a bit of plumbing trickery for radiator and heater hoses, etc.  Not bolt-in like the E30 M10 would be.

So, as they say in the American South, ya pays yer money and ya takes yer choice.  Were it me and I had the time and available engine, I'd do the M42.  They're a barrel of fun in an E30 that's several hundred lbs heavier; they're a hoot in a 2002.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

On my M42 swap, no tranny tunnel bashing was needed. The lower radiator hose was a royal pain to find/make/fit/cut/repeat (3 times). Heater hoses from the 02 were used no problem. Engine and tranny mounts are available and anyone with a monkey brain can do it (I did). Very well documented swap.

The only thing I can see a problem with is the right hand drive and the exhaust manifold, I just can't see where it all can fit.

76 BMW 2002 Arktisblau M42 5 spd - Born 5.21.76 - daily money pit * 06 Aston Martin V8 Vantage 6 spd * 73 Mustang Convertible 351C * 11 Aston Martin Rapide V12 * 15 VW Touareg * 23 Audi e-tron SUV (wife's)

sig_banner.jpg.5aeae468aebf7c560d52fe62d249efbd.jpg

Search for E30 info- you will want to swap to a 2002 sump and oil pump,

and you're giving up 5mm or so of stroke for the 1.8i.  It works, and it's very easy.

Me, in your situ, would do an M42.  It's a very nice engine,

and it's well- suited to the 2002's handling characteristics.

I have one in an E36, and it's dying to be let free to play for real.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I always thought left hand drive referred to where the steering wheel was. :)

Cheers,

I too was confused as to the logic of this car.  Brake reservoir and remote booster mounted on the right side (as per RHD cars).

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I agree with the M42 over the EFI M10.  The M42 is a kickass engine that loves to rev, and the swap requires very little in the way of metalwork.  

I have the Turner Motorsport chip in mine which gives me an extra 10 or so bhp, and ups the rev limiter to 7K.  It's a great engine for a lightweight car like the 02.  

Edited by McMadCow

'74 2002

'89 Spec E30 325i

'92 325i

Thanks for all the advice guys! It all makes for a good read.

Just realised I made a cock-up in my original post and don't know my lefts from rights. It's right hand drive! Have edited the first post..

Yeah the set up when that Mazda engine was in there was pretty odd. It's a dual booster setup so there were two of those massive things on both sides of the bay. I'll probably go with a boosterless set up eventually.

Starting to get pretty keen on m42/m44 as it should be easier to get more power out of it... Although I'd have to get some headers custom made to get past the steering. And in saying that, I could still go the m20b25 like everyone does.

Argh. Decisions.