• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heater valve options?

jrhone

I would say that one of the valves properly rebuilt using the kit from Blunt is better than new (even the all brass valves)

It has a stainless steel arm that is not going to strip out like the plastic arms on the later valves and even the all-brass ones (brass is pretty soft).

Also the nylon (or whatever it is) internal part in the Blunt kit moves way more smoothly when you're turning your heater on and off all the time like I do. 

If I'm going to go through all of the trouble to rebuild my frick'n heater box, I want to make sure that I'm not going back in there for a long while.  That's why I'm all anal on the pressure testing.  Guess who installed a used heater core once only to find out that it leaked?  AMHIK

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

If it comes down to that much time or money to rebuild a heater box or just the valve, then I'm just bypassing it all.  :)  

I rarely use it anyways.  As it is, if I turn on my fan it just makes horrible noises and gives off a lovely odor of electrical fire, and that really hasn't affected me much in the past year or two.    

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

Original brass with new seals (+/- $5) is the way to go.  Works, looks good, and it's original!  I believe they started making the valve with nylon barrel in 74.  (?).  If you have one of those then the Blunt kit is the way to go.

my car is a 73 and had a nylon barrel, but after 40 years who knows if it was original.

Did the same thing to a brand new 600 dollar Tii tank after modifying it.  My buddy put 15PSI into it overnight to check for leaks and the regulator failed and it looked like  a weather balloon in the morning

too funny.  I blew up the tire on my daughter's new bike that she got for Christmas.  Daddy got a little too excited and exploded the tire.  My daughter wasn't pleased ... :huh:

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

J.R., I've used this one from a 60s bronco with no issues, $17 on eBay. You can hook up your cable actuator to it as well and it will open & close. Just make sure you orient it correctly ( so it will open when you slide the heater lever).

Cheers!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-STYLE-YG133-F-SERIES-BRONCO-HEATER-VALVE-C3UZ18495A-/400419434674?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d3adbb0b2&vxp=mtr

Can you post a picture and describe how you did it a little more? Does it fit the hoses well? It looks like it might be a little restrictive, but I'd like to give this a shot because 85 bucks is too much for me.

The Shizzle... :D

I guess it doesn't get cold in Ohio? :P I'm freezing when it gets below 32 degrees ...

Oh it gets plenty cold, but usually by the time it gets cold enough to depend on the heater, the salt is on the roads and the 02/Datsun have to stay home.  The sacrificial Miata and Subaru take to the streets.

Even with the heat turned off in my 02, it's still warmer than my Datsun truck with the heater on full blast, hah.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

i've looked into an electronic 3/4" valve for mine, the biggest issue was heat tolerance.  i ended up finding one, and it wasn't spendy.  I haven't ordered it yet, partly because i lost the link, and partly because i just bypassed the valve anyway. my blower fan doesn't work anyway

Instagram: iliketurbos

• 3 weeks later...

I took boxy02's idea and ran with it, this is the contraption I ended up with. The bowden cables aren't good for bending into pig tails, I found out the hard way there, so I ended up making a clamping and pivoting device out of brass. Total cost for this valve setup was about 25 bucks and some redneck engineering. I tested it tonight along with my rebuilt box, and it works perfectly. I don't think it flows quite as much as the BMW one, but the interior is scalding hot when I want it and nice and cool when I don't. It took some time, but I prefer that to shelling out 85 bucks.

post-41166-0-84496900-1424395737_thumb.j

• 1 year later...