• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974 Tii on ebay with BIN of $ 35,000 Orange California

gary

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-2002-Tii-1973-bmw-2002-tii-restored-sunroof-factory-behr-a-c-5-speed-aaca-winner-/251793064612?forcerrptr=true&hash=item3aa00942a4&item=251793064612&pt=US_Cars_Trucks#ht_29357wt_1363

This one?

It is nice, almost looks like a toy model in some of the pictures.

However; with the lengths they went to do such a nice job, why not source a proper 1973 steering wheel, seats and use a tii valve cover instead of one from a 320i?  Minor stuff considering a classic driver, but whoever did the " national first place" judging was not an expert. The most obvious is the "square" VDO washer bottle. Unsure but the brake fluid res has no float indicator, those tools are from an e21 and the sunroof seal is installed incorrectly.

OMG I have become one of them!!!!!

Officer,

You going to write them up for the square taillight dash (1-piece) and door cards (no upper chrome trim)?

Respectfully,

Citizen Steve

(I particularly enjoyed your assault on the windshield washer reservoir, which irked me as well!)

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Officer,

You going to write them up for the square taillight dash (1-piece) and door cards (no upper chrome trim)?

Respectfully,

Citizen Steve

(I particularly enjoyed your assault on the windshield washer reservoir, which irked me as well!)

The uninstalled heater box may well be AN ISSUE!

:P

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Also, if you restore a car, throw the aluminum strut spacers in the spare parts bin. They're fine relocated to the top in a driver but for resto dollars, leave 'em in place as shipped or better yet, lose 'em. The front bumper is tilted downward on the car as well.

Budweiser...It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Avatar photo courtesy K. Kreeger, my2002tii.com ©

In addition:

Oil sticker in the wrong place.

Orange Achtung sticker does not belong on a '73, even if it's a tii.

On a positive note, the cross-haired gas/water gauge it had when auctioned in 2011 has been replaced.

I agree, whoever judged the car was having a bad day for sure. Love the colour though.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

I like that blue car.  It is nice.  You could fix these ^^^ niggles pretty easily.  Excellent job finding the incorrect bits!

The white square tii has stalled out at $20,601 for now.  Six days left.  

$27K bid on the blue one thus far.  I could see it crest $30K.  It is an appealing color combo, roundie, AC, sunroof.  The resto story, car show docs will help it vs. a car like the white car, which has no outside verification that it actually is what it says it is.  The blue car has that little bit of "insurance" for the buyer in the form of those docs.  

I still haven't seen tiis break $30k too often on ebay.  Maybe the ones for sale on there just haven't been worth that.  So I'm hesitant to say the tiis are increasing in value significantly (or to any crazy extent).  

Scott

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

....The white square tii has stalled out at $20,601 for now. Six days left...

Apropos of the stalled bidding, I always wonder whether eBay buyers are simultaneously bidding and reading FAQ comments! Stated differently, and likely exaggerating our influence, has our nitpicking helped stall the bidding?

I suspect that many of the nicest examples, of 2002's, 911's, or whatever, trade hands privately, as in, "Hey, Bill, if you're ever thinking of selling, just let me know!" There is talk of various 2002 sales (non-turbo, non-ti) in the $50K range. I do know, from someone who absolutely knows, of the sale of a Korman-restored round taillight tii for $46K.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

Of course any car is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. I really like the blue car. It's just that the little details are what actually justifies a premium price.

Budweiser...It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Avatar photo courtesy K. Kreeger, my2002tii.com ©

I always wonder whether eBay buyers are simultaneously bidding and reading FAQ comments!

I suspect that many of the nicest examples, of 2002's, 911's, or whatever, trade hands privately, as in, "Hey, Bill, if you're ever thinking of selling, just let me know!" There is talk of various 2002 sales (non-turbo, non-ti) in the $50K range. I do know, from someone who absolutely knows, of the sale of a Korman-restored round taillight tii for $46K.

Regards,

Steve

I would think you're right - that the really nice or desirable cars never go on ebay.  So few cars sell via ebay (it seems to me) that I wonder what sellers really use it for.  "Let's put it on ebay for a top-of-market BIN and see if we get lucky...it's only a week and you never know".  

By the way, it isn't me bidding on anything.  I would get fired from my husband job.  And I can barely keep up with one car.  Having multiples might make me go insane.  

Scott

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

Of course any car is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. I really like the blue car. It's just that the little details are what actually justifies a premium price.

You're right, of course, but how do we even know what a premium price is -- that $46K tii immediately went in for more work/modification? Maybe $46K is the "premium" price for a round taillight tii and $30K is the "expect a few issues" price!

No one has yet mentioned that the Baikal comes with 4 alloys, 1 steel rim, and a 20-year-old XAs for the spare: now you wouldn't find that mix of odds and ends on a $46K car!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

'74 tiis did have a retard or advance pot on the distributor - the hose from the gizmo near the shock tower (deceleration valve?) connects to the dizzy and intake manifold, as seen in the photo above.

Pretty sure they are mechanical advance and vacuum retard...

74 tii
"I know just enough to be dangerous"

re:  Premium prices......

A few years ago, Jay Leno said, "The best cars never get to auction".

.....and he's a pretty knowledgeable collector.  And probably has a few of "the best cars".

mac

Although it appears to have the original non-snorkel nose, it looks like both fenders may have been replaced.  Not sure why, would be interested to know.  I hate when you 'restore' a car and do not braze in the fenders to the nose panel and leave that gap there......

It looks like it may have had some body work done to the left quarter panel based on the pic provided of inside the trunk and "pink" bondo pic of outside.  I understand that this is an old car and most this old probably have had some body work at some point.  All that being said, the seller states that it has a clear title...always good to straighten the body up before painting!  I don't think the carpet is original as stated.

Still looks pretty clean though!  I'm thinking it's hit it's max bid now at around $24k.  In reality, maybe worth $18k tops.  

I would definitely purchase an E30 M3 over this, as most have stated...

1974 2002 Verona & 1973 2002 Riviera

1982 320iA & 1983 320iS
2002 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L PSD Wife's