• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heater box rebuild..what kind of foam to use?

jrhone

What kind of foam should I use for rebuild?  I got some from JoAnn's leftover from another project.  Its just basic headliner/foam material.  I want to make sure its not gonna disintegrate in 6 months making me need to rebuild again.  

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

Okay i learnt the hard way on this one. I used neoprene mouse pad material at first. Thought i was a genius until the contact adhesive melted a few days later and all the pads ended up falling to the bottom of the heater box.

In the end i used weatherstrip tape from homedepot and layed 3 rows to cover the flaps and it worked out perfect. Its already got a good adhesive on it and low density tape will collapse and mold for a perfect seal.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/MD-Building-Products-1-4-in-x-17-ft-Low-Density-Foam-Weatherstrip-Tape-02071/100665371

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

If you are asking about the weatherstrip that goes around the heater core, I used the peel and stick weatherstrip type. Be careful though, mine was a little too thick and when I tried to insert the core back in the box, it was too tight of a fit and the box cracked. Live and learn.

John

1974 Verona 2002 tii

1974 Polaris 2002 tii (deceased)