• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early cv half shaft

TKMad

I have an early long neck diff 2002 that has the u-joint/sliding pin half shafts.  About 4 years ago I replaced the boots and filled with oil, but this morning there was a puddle of gear oil by my left rear tire because one of the boots had split again.

I'm hoping to replace both of the half shafts with the CV style axles but haven't had any luck sourcing them.  They have a different bolt pattern than the later ones with 2 groups of 3 bolts instead of a symmetrical circular pattern.

Does anyone know a part number or years of cars that had these axles?

Thanks!

'69 2002

'59 MGA

'67 Chevy C20

“Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.” - Mark Twain

I'm not sure exactly when the CV shafts began to replace the sliding/u-joint versions. Late 60s anyway. CV shafts with assymmetric bolt holes exist - you just have to watch the ads. Or find all four flanges with 10 holes, and use any later 02 CV shaft.

I think you may be looking for something that doesn't exist.  The factory changed over from long to short neck diffs with 2002s at VIN 1664761, and changed over to inboard and outboard CV joints at the same time.  AFAIK they didn't make the later style axles (CV joints inside and out) to work with long neck diffs.

Maybe someone on the board knows if there is such a thing, or whether one can be assembled from parts of two different axles, but I don't think it exists...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

It is my understanding (and hope) that the cv shafts 33213614860 with asymmetric holes are the right length to work with long neck. Real OEM drawing shows long neck diff and stub axle with 10 hole flanges. Those were, as I understand it, to accommodate old and new style half shafts, be they old or new joints, asymmetric or symmetric bolts. Attached photo of another car. Haven't tried to install CV shafts yet. Too cold.

post-39615-0-64360700-1421939897_thumb.j

So searching on that part number shows that they are NLA, not a huge surprise, but the illustrations all show the differential flange and the axle stub as being drilled for both patterns.

I'll just have to pull mine off to check.  That would be nice....

'69 2002

'59 MGA

'67 Chevy C20

“Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.” - Mark Twain

I pulled a long neck out of a 1969 BMW 1602 that had the CV half-shafts instead of the U-Joint setup.  I ended up selling the Half-shafts to an owner with a long neck in their BMW 2000 CS which maybe a source for finding the parts you need.

Good Luck,

Mark92131

post-33686-0-19127000-1421958617_thumb.j

Edited by Mark92131

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)