• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Taking the 02 apart. Word of wisdom?

MildSeven

I wouldn't get too far ahead of the curve ordering accessories before ensuring you understand the extent of rust and necessary body work. $4K isn't going to get you a lot of rust repair, which may not become evident until you strip out carpets, trunk lining, etc. Should you require assistance, I'm in Ottawa.

Not sure if this was covered above, but..Unless your buddies are 2002 fanatics as well, I wouldn't let anyone else help disassemble the car  Because if your eyes didn't see it come apart, when it comes time for reassembly, you won't know how it goes back together. 

Or have them photograph everything.

thanks.. we're working together and taking photos as we go.

I wouldn't get too far ahead of the curve ordering accessories before ensuring you understand the extent of rust and necessary body work. $4K isn't going to get you a lot of rust repair, which may not become evident until you strip out carpets, trunk lining, etc. Should you require assistance, I'm in Ottawa.

Thanks for advice. I'm not ordering anything until it's at the shop, just getting ideas for now. When I'm at work I like to browse 02 stuff ;)

...also thanks for the offer.

Photo of current state:

post-46694-0-18772500-1422386828_thumb.j

Edited by MildSeven

picked up what i thought was a sound Verona Red '76

The Refresh Blog: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/155-76-verona-red-refresh/

- Mechanical timing chain tensioner

Has this been a pain in the ass or would you recommend it? Is it the one from I.E.?

My dad says he has always restored cars starting with the body, then mechanical, then interior. I've not fully restored my car yet, but I'm going to follow that plan when the time comes.

I have been finding a lot of wires which aren't connected anywhere.. which I don't like so much. I'll have to clean that up and figure some stuff out.

The new 2002 hover craft

I have to say that looks a little scary. Get some decent stands under there to be safe.

thanks tony... at the angle the photo was taken the stands are just out of view.

Has this been a pain in the ass or would you recommend it? Is it the one from I.E.?

My dad says he has always restored cars starting with the body, then mechanical, then interior. I've not fully restored my car yet, but I'm going to follow that plan when the time comes.

Snow, I bought the car with those listed items installed by previous owners, so I can't comment on that... but I can say that so far things have been going smoothly (honorable mention to this site) and I'm having a learning good time + learning a little in the process.

current state:

post-46694-0-50532500-1422890106_thumb.j

looking for M10 bolts for engine stand.

Edited by MildSeven

Steady as she goes. It is amazing how they come apart and go back together. There are few logistical challenges because of the simplicity of the vehicle. We tend to complicate the process unnecessarily. In hindsight, I would suggest not to obsess about the car or the next task. After a while you turn that proverbial corner and she begins to look as you imagined when you began. 

My last car went from 'good bones' to a 'rolling shell' to 'darn nice' in two years. I have to admit, I did obsess a little and have promised myself that I will not the next time. It is just so much fun  :rolleyes:

The best tool is the 02FAQ. 

Regards and good luck

post-38979-0-30116300-1422990131_thumb.j

post-38979-0-06210800-1422990356_thumb.j

post-38979-0-42005100-1422990434_thumb.j

'73 Bavaria, '80 Land Rover Series 2a, '71 2002, '69 2002, '74 3.0s

Bill, I love that red stands you used to place the 02 on its side. Where did you get that?  I've never seen that before. I've been staring at your photo trying to figure out how it works. Did you start on jack lifts before lifting it. If you can provide me a site to look into it, that would be great. I'm hoping this may help my summer task of replacing my frame rail.

My last car went from 'good bones' to a 'rolling shell' to 'darn nice' in two years. I have to admit, I did obsess a little and have promised myself that I will not the next time. It is just so much fun  :rolleyes:

Thanks Bill...

I have that issue too, I obsess over little things. I think I'll have to drop that if i want to complete this while maintaining my sanity.

+1 on the red stands. Looks like they bolt onto the hubs but there's got to be more to it than that. Please tell/show more.

Hi there peterschop,

Since you asked, please follow the link to my photo album for the car tilter. Simply, it attaches to the hubs and uses a fulcrum to get the car on its side. Once vertical you lock it in place and remove the lever. Voile'; work on your car as if it was a fence  :)

https://plus.google.com/photos/116303869745755166244/albums/5767053680663127281?authkey=CMr4lpDOwKC2VQ

Regards

Hi there peterschop,

Since you asked, please follow the link to my photo album for the car tilter. Simply, it attaches to the hubs and uses a fulcrum to get the car on its side. Once vertical you lock it in place and remove the lever. Voile'; work on your car as if it was a fence  :)

https://plus.google.com/photos/116303869745755166244/albums/5767053680663127281?authkey=CMr4lpDOwKC2VQ

Regards

Very cool! Must have been a little scary on the first tilt.

Bill, I love that red stands you used to place the 02 on its side. Where did you get that?  I've never seen that before. I've been staring at your photo trying to figure out how it works. Did you start on jack lifts before lifting it. If you can provide me a site to look into it, that would be great. I'm hoping this may help my summer task of replacing my frame rail.

Hi TNan

I placed a link in this post a few comments up...

Bill P.