• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any experience with the 68-73 Short bumpers on E-bay?

jfunk

Hey Gang,

I'm looking to put on a short bumper for my 1972 02 and there's a guy selling two different ones on eBay.  Chrome bumpers for $475.00 and Stainless steal ones for $575.00.  Anyone on here have any experience with this sellers products?

$475.00

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-1973-BMW-2002-New-Short-Chrome-Bumper-REAR-ONLY-/141542026358?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20f48fec76

$575.00

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-1973-BMW-2002-New-Short-Stainless-Steel-Bumper-REAR-ONLY-/141528319119?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20f3bec48f

Also, any advantages to having Stainless or Chrome?  My gut says just go for the chrome - any thoughts?

Many thanks!

J

Edited by jfunk

• 1 year later...

I purchased a set of the "short" stainless steel bumpers from this supplier and am very happy with them, though I haven't commented prior as I have not finished my car yet to provide a proper review with some mileage. Chris is very responsive on emails and I think I got my bumpers in 2-4 weeks, they were very well packaged and were manufactured in some Asian country (can't remember where). I bought them from his website here:  http://www.02bumpers.com/blank-wpqoi/beefa94c-bb2f-76c5-1a25-7a93e45b22d2

These bumpers do differ from the BMW version, I think the profile of the rear bumper could be different if you compared side by side, mounted on the car you'd really have to be searching. I went with these on my '76 as I wanted to run chrome bumpers without the over riders in the front and Chris provided a seam cover in place of the overriders for a finished look. Same price. Along with the overrider request I ordered the front bumper undrilled for the rubber strips on the corner of the factory front steel bumper, but I am pretty certain that these bumpers come without holes for the rubber trim anyways. I do not know if (a) the factory corner rubber will work or (b) BMW overriders will work. When researching this I read Esty comment that stick-on rubber trim can be used easily in place of the BMW rubber strips.

I like them! Its a little disappointing I bought them a year ago and haven't finished my respray to have them bolted up, but I think the bang for buck here is good! I saw a trick set of bumpers on here that were all welded up by Dave at Aardvarc Racing (the Tesoro car), if a set like that landed in my lap I'd probably use them instead, but for the price I think these are excellent. You don't need the BMW mounting internals the rear bumper on these, just the "spring clip" as there is a threaded mount welded inside the center section. The fronts also bolt up to the early style brackets just fine. Some pictures here, if you have questions let me know.

Side note- The corners of the front bumper are not bolted up in the pictures and I'm aware the roundel is incorrectly placed in the rear, just there for a quick mock up

DSCF3341.jpg

DSCF3342.jpg

DSCF3343.jpg

DSCF3344.jpg

DSCF3383.jpg

DSCF3581.jpg

DSCF3582.jpg

DSCF3585.jpg

DSCF3589.jpg

13 minutes ago, LikeStig said:

I purchased a set of the "short" stainless steel bumpers from this supplier and am very happy with them, though I haven't commented prior as I have not finished my car yet to provide a proper review with some mileage. Chris is very responsive on emails and I think I got my bumpers in 2-4 weeks, they were very well packaged and were manufactured in some Asian country (can't remember where). I bought them from his website here:  http://www.02bumpers.com/blank-wpqoi/beefa94c-bb2f-76c5-1a25-7a93e45b22d2

These bumpers do differ from the BMW version, I think the profile of the rear bumper could be different if you compared side by side, mounted on the car you'd really have to be searching. I went with these on my '76 as I wanted to run chrome bumpers without the over riders in the front and Chris provided a seam cover in place of the overriders for a finished look. Same price. Along with the overrider request I ordered the front bumper undrilled for the rubber strips on the corner of the factory front steel bumper, but I am pretty certain that these bumpers come without holes for the rubber trim anyways. I do not know if (a) the factory corner rubber will work or (b) BMW overriders will work. When researching this I read Esty comment that stick-on rubber trim can be used easily in place of the BMW rubber strips.

I like them! Its a little disappointing I bought them a year ago and haven't finished my respray to have them bolted up, but I think the bang for buck here is good! I saw a trick set of bumpers on here that were all welded up by Dave at Aardvarc Racing (the Tesoro car), if a set like that landed in my lap I'd probably use them instead, but for the price I think these are excellent. You don't need the BMW mounting internals the rear bumper on these, just the "spring clip" as there is a threaded mount welded inside the center section. The fronts also bolt up to the early style brackets just fine. Some pictures here, if you have questions let me know.

Side note- The corners of the front bumper are not bolted up in the pictures and I'm aware the roundel is incorrectly placed in the rear, just there for a quick mock up

DSCF3341.jpg

DSCF3342.jpg

DSCF3343.jpg

DSCF3344.jpg

DSCF3383.jpg

DSCF3581.jpg

DSCF3582.jpg

DSCF3585.jpg

DSCF3589.jpg

Digging the louvered hood! ?

Max-

73' BMW 2002

Member # 2329

Thanks for the info.  Im just starting a project that didnt come with a front bumper and which has a long sided rear bumper that has issues on all 3 sections.  Cost to fix and rechrome  plus the appearance if the shorty bumpets makes this option look attractive.

I purchased a stainless steel set for a 75 short bumper conversion. It is a nice reproduction that you can order with/out license light cut outs. They are painted on the backside and came with seam covers. No instructions but realized that the sections are labeled to indicate the mates. Only drawback is the mounting location for the ends do not match the factory mount locations. I overlooked this detail during the bodywork and now I have to plug the existing hole and redrill :(. But the bumper looks great!

BTW I found a great alternative to the expensive license lights that are made by Hella but are half the cost. They fit in the cut outs but I had to modify the lenses to allow maximum light output by scraping off some paint inside of the lens.  From Amazon Hella LAMP LICENSE 1378 SLV ECE. They were $17 each but have since gone up in price. But perhaps other sources may sell for the lower price. YMMV

image.jpeg

image.jpg

21 hours ago, Coastalcrush408 said:

Digging the louvered hood! ?

Nice work!  Details on the driver's side fender.  Is that a new fender and if so where did you purchase it?  

Edited by Big_Lebowski

"To my way of thinking, the 2002 is one of modern civilization's all-time best ways to get somewhere sitting down. - Car and Driver Magazine April,1968 

2 hours ago, Big_Lebowski said:

Nice work!  Details on the driver's side fender.  Is that a new fender and if so where did you purchase it?  

10 hours ago, barney t said:

Coastalcrush408 

the bumpers look great, really like the louvers...you need to get busy that's going to be a great looking car...what color is it going to be?

Thanks guys, the car was originally Pastellblau on a 1976 shell that I will be repainting Nachtblau. Nachtblau was offered on 1975 models. I originally was planning to respray Pastellblau, but after bringing the car down to the metal why not make it what you want? Bodywork has progressed quite a bit from this stage, all rust is repaired and I'm working hard to make it perfect. It takes 8 times longer when it takes 4 tries to get it right! Plus I live 100 miles from my parent's garage. If anyone in the Chicago area has room in their garage, I'll pay rent!

I bought the pair of fenders, new, from a nice guy on Craigslist for $50; I don't know the brand but they are not BMW. They have taken a lot of extra work to get right but should look original when done. New BMW doors too, I've since stretched the bondo across the length of the door so the panel will be glassy smooth front to rear. Maybe to the paint shop for paint and clear at the end of October. I would recommend BMW manufactured fenders from my experience. The doors were pretty great, they required some block sanding initially with bondo to get a perfectly smooth surface but that is expected. I still need to block sand with high build. I plan on making a build thread once the car is painted.

Edited by LikeStig

3 minutes ago, JerryB2002 said:

How much work is it to fit these on my '76?

Jerry, euro/early bumper swapping onto a later car has fortunately been covered many times.  

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=bmw+2002+early+bumpers+on+late+car+site:www.bmw2002faq.com