• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1600-2 clicking under shifter linkage

prezucha

Ok, did I say I was a novice? The two bolts holding the center bearing bracket were a bit loose.  Enough for jiggling.  I think in 1st and reverse the rotation is slow with little force.  I just drove it down the street into 3rd and no noise!  Lots of wobble in front end.  I only eye balled the alignment.  That's the next thing I need to have done and then I can test the car more thoroughly.  I will keep a sharp eye on the components down there as there is little clearance around the guibo so I will do the hose clamp deal regardless.  Thanks all for your responses! It got me motivated to get under there and look around!  I guess my advice to other beginners is don't take on too much at one time and do whatever you are doing in a timely manner if possible.  This has been a year so far and that's just too long a stretch and I did too many things to keep track of what was done 100%, what was done temporarily to get things installed, etc.  I will go front to back checking every bolt I touched to ensure no more loose bolts!  Cheers and have a great Sunday!  Paul

From your guibo picture I cannot see any identification marks. Please don't trust no-name parts, especially if your guibo is soft and deflects easily. It should be very stiff! I installed a 6-hole guibo sourced from BavAuto that flexed and started coming apart in the first 10 miles after my 5 speed installation.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

You need to preload the two bolts holding the center bearing before tightening. Simply push the sliding section forward 2 mm and then tighten the bolts. Wobble in the front end? Check the tie rod ends and all suspension joints. Steering box may need adjusting also. 

And the idler arm bushings, which I can attest to being a pain to replace.  :)

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Hi all, jgerock - the guibo's were ordered through Bluntech and they were special order from Germany. I believe them to be OEM. The shots below show some kind of writing... Hans - I may have thrown out the old foam. It was original as far as I could tell and was dry rotted. It did seem thinner than what I purchased. I think I can compress it more though. peterchop - I knew about the preload but forgot to do it this morning. I will do it tomorrow. Tie rods and ALL suspension parts are new and I have to go back and check that everything is tightened properly. The steering box is new (refurbished). What adjustments can you do with it? Ray - idler arms bushings are new and yes, they were a pain to remove. I had a local shop press the old out and new in... I think I may be missing a "cap" though. I will try and get a photo to post tomorrow. If you have time to check could you see if you think something is missing?

And you can see in the 2nd photo the line on the driveshaft.  This is definitely from the shifter linkage.  I will try and compress the foam donut more...

Thanks all!

post-46482-0-34072400-1422244314_thumb.j

post-46482-0-87729400-1422244378_thumb.j

post-46482-0-02106100-1422244607_thumb.j

Edited by prezucha

I believe that is Jurid guibo. And if Blunt sold it to you, it's likely fine.

Do have a look at the mounting bolts for the shifter platform. Aha, I found CD's pic:

http://s226.photobucket.com/user/cd02md/media/02shiftpartsEARLY.jpg.html?sort=6&o=411

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

I can see the groove on the drive shaft. It appears to be touching the bottom of the linkage as you described. Did you install both of the two dished pieces of plastic that hold the ball on the bottom of the lever?

I'm wondering if that donut is too thick, and is pushing the platform down. I don't have access to a car to check right now, but perhaps someone can advise on how close the platform should be to the floor.

I'm wondering if you've got all the bits in that locate the ball on the shift lever in the cup on the shift platform. Perhaps you are missing some bits that would locate the shift lever higher relative to the platform and hence the drive shaft.I don't have a good diagram at hand, but I recall several springs and spacers in there with the two plastic cups.

Hi Hans,

I do believe I installed the 2 plastic dish parts.  There weren't many parts in the kit and I simply took the shifter out, swapped the parts and put it right back in.  So I'm pretty sure everything is there.  My foam disc looks to be the same as in the photo above of '76MintGrun.  I don't remember any springs but that was a bunch of months ago and my memory isn't that great...  Should have took photos...  But I will take it all apart and see what's there and take photos.  Might not get to it until the weekend though...  Thanks all for you support! The good news is that I was able to drive the car w/o noises.  But I do want everything right.  I will get the front end aligned this weekend (after checking all suspension nuts/bolts, etc are all tighted to spec) and that will really be the test to see how the car drives!  Paul

With a rebuild kit you are able to bring the shifter back to it's original feel, but you must assemble it with parts in the correct order.

There are spring spacers that should be above and below the nylon bushings that keep the tension on the assembly at all times.  The whole unit, slightly compressed is held in position by the final circlip.

With additional refreshed bushings at the shifter/shaft connection the shifter is back to the way it was when new.  Smooth, not sloppy.

It's a beautiful thing, and not too expensive.

Edited by PaulTWinterton

73 Inka Tii #2762958

What did you do with the original shift lever and the lateral transmission shift rod?  It looks like your using a later setup. Could be the bottom of the shifter or lateral rod is touching something? Do you have somebody to move the shifter around while your under there looking at things?

I recently tore mine apart to change the "hat" shaped bushings.  I also have the flex disk type drivline couplers and not guibos.  I personally like the flex disks better then guibos as they seem to me a bit more robust. 

George

I recently tore mine apart to change the "hat" shaped bushings.  I also have the flex disk type drivline couplers and not guibos.  I personally like the flex disks better then guibos as they seem to me a bit more robust. 

George

I thought the guibo was the flex disk

Paul, I will dissassemble and see what is there.  I do not remember springs.  Do new springs come with the kit?  I wouldn't think so.  It is possible the PO misplaced some parts...

George, this is the way I purchased the car.  Sitting for 15 years.  Is the later setup ok to use?  Does it fit ok?  And yes, my son can move the shifter while I take a look.

I have never read anything about flex disk type drivelink couplers.  Wish I had as these guibos were very expensive!  I'll post when after I get some free time to take a look, disassemble and see what's there, and take photos.  Thanks so much!