• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Heater Fan Blades Loose. Normal?

bento
Go to solution Solved by '76mintgrün'02,

I just received my heater blower motor and the fan blade is quite loose. The free play is between the plastic hub and the metal fan. 

Is this normal? It arrived well packaged and appears to be undamaged but want to be sure.

Thanks.

Brent

1974 2002 - Megasquirt and turbo

2018 BMW M2/ 2013 Porsche Cayenne Diesel

I know you all like photos, so here's one.

post-47476-0-50100000-1422325295_thumb.j

You can just make out a gap between the top of the fan and the plastic hub. There's another plastic piece on the other side of the fan. I can't tell if its actually two pieces or one. If two pieces, maybe the separated in shipping. The motor was hanging and only the fan was supported in the factory box.  

Brent

Blunt. I'm sure I'll be taken care of if there's an issue. Just want to understand what's going on here before I mess with it or discuss options.

Is the blade just sandwiched between two plastic bushings that can be snugged back together? I seem to recall it being described as a single bushing in the thread about using a Grainger or McMaster sourced motor. I'll have to go read it again.

It shipped sealed in a BMW Mobile Tradition box that was clearly sealed up years ago as the packing tape had lost all its stickiness. Shame they didn't cradle the bottom of the motor with some foam or something.

Brent

• Solution

Thanks. Post #4 is the first link is exactly what I was looking for. Two bushings sandwich the blade and they can be pushed back together to hold the fan snugly in place. I'll leave it along until the heater box is out so I can figure out what moved.

The second link, Fan Tome Gourmet, is the article I had in mind in my previous post.

Thanks to Jim Gerock as well for answering my question before I asked. :)

Marking this solved.

Brent

I bought a NOS fan from a fellow FAQer a while back and it arrived with a loose fan blade similar to yours.  I ended up applying a little epoxy to secure the metal fan blade to the pink-ish colored plastic hub part.  It's been working like a champ for years now.

John

Edited by JohnS

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️