• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sunken Dash Glass, Suggestions on How to Fix?

Bozeman02

Hey everyone, I need some help and am looking for suggestions on how to deal with this problem.

The glass over the tachometer in my 1971 2002 has become sunken (I think it happened when I tapped it, trying to get it to stop buzzing at certain RPMs). 

I'm trying to figure out how to easily fix this problem. Here's the salient photograph: 

post-33800-0-58872500-1422647249_thumb.j

Step 1: Rather than take the dash apart, I was planning on obtaining a small (say 2.5") suction cup (think of a small dent puller) to grab the glass and pull it back up into the proper position. Thoughts? Folly? Better idea?

Step 2: How to keep the glass from "buzzing" once it's in place. What about using a little silicone around the edges, hidden from view, to keep the glass from vibrating?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Peder

Denver

post-33800-0-58872500-1422647249_thumb.j

Bozeman, MT
1971 Colorado Orange 2002

PEH_5055.jpeg

You'll have to pull the cluster out.  there are two thumb nuts holding it in, and then the wiring plug(s).  Once you have it out, you can remove the tach by backing out the four screws on the back.  I believe its on top of the speedo (they over lap).  Once its out of the way, there is a metal ring that holds the glass in.  it twists into place and has apparently come out..

its not as hard as it sounds.

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

Looks like the tach is missing the metal lock ring that holds the glas tight to the outer bezel.

Best way is to remove the dash pod. remove tach from the cluster. If lock ring is present reinstall using by crossing two screw drivers and tighten the ring. Takes a bit of force to get ot tight under the plastic tabs.

If ring is missing, guess your silicone fix would work.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Thanks fellas.

I assume this might be a good time to replace the light bulbs too (overall, it looks dim, so I assume at least one has given up the ghost). 

I've looked for photo tutorial for pulling out the cluster, but I haven't found one yet. 

Bozeman, MT

PEH_5055.jpeg

I've looked for photo tutorial for pulling out the cluster, but I haven't found one yet. 

- Remove the black panels under the dash, if your car still has them.

- Get your head up under the dash so you can see the back of the area where the cluster is.  You should see the 2 knurled cylindrical aluminum "nuts" that spin onto the studs of the cluster.

- Remove the nuts, then push the cluster out of the dash.

- Once the cluster is free from the dash binnacle, disconnect the few pieces of the wiring harness from the back of the cluster.  You might want to take some photos before disconnecting wiring so you''ll know where everything goes.

- There has been a recent thread about removing & replacing the cluster glass - try a search.

Good luck!

gauge-back.jpg

Edited by John_in_VA

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

Thank you everyone, John, for the detailed information.  I really appreciate the help and your patience. 

- Remove the black panels under the dash, if your car still has them.

- Get your head up under the dash so you can see the back of the area where the cluster is.  You should see the 2 knurled cylindrical aluminum "nuts" that spin onto the studs of the cluster.

- Remove the nuts, then push the cluster out of the dash.

- Once the cluster is free from the dash binnacle, disconnect the few pieces of the wiring harness from the back of the cluster.  You might want to take some photos before disconnecting wiring so you''ll know where everything goes.

- There has been a recent thread about removing & replacing the cluster glass - try a search.

Good luck!

Bozeman, MT

PEH_5055.jpeg

I took my cluster out to repair the Odometer.  There is a tutorial on that procedure in the Articles section.

It really is as easy as they make it sound above.  

It would be a good time to clean the back side of all the glass.  It made quite a difference on mine.

The Odometer Article says to 'resist the temptation to touch the face of the gauges'... I used a clean paint brush to dust mine.  That was all they needed and they look new again.

Have fun!  The gauges are beautiful little mechanisms.

ba6026f5-6bb7-48b2-88d6-814d2581afcb.jpg

013.jpg

good time to replace the light bulbs too (overall, it looks dim...)

You can also remove the instruments, glass, etc. and paint the inside of the housing with a reflective paint. This helped mine be brighter.

Yes, there WAS skin on my knuckles before I started the repair...

Thank you '76, beautiful and helpful pictures.  

I took my cluster out to repair the Odometer.  There is a tutorial on that procedure in the Articles section.

It really is as easy as they make it sound above.  

It would be a good time to clean the back side of all the glass.  It made quite a difference on mine.

The Odometer Article says to 'resist the temptation to touch the face of the gauges'... I used a clean paint brush to dust mine.  That was all they needed and they look new again.

Have fun!  The gauges are beautiful little mechanisms.

Bozeman, MT

PEH_5055.jpeg