• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

diff problems?

Parkertii

While driving home today as i slowly started driving up a hill my car made a loud bang, followed by several clanking sounds. The noise sounded like it came from the back of the car and as soon as this happened the engine reved and felt like the car was in neutral, so i coasted into a parking spot.

Once stopped with the engine running i let out the clutch in first gear and the car didnt move at all. looking under the car showed that the driveline was spinning but the rear wheels had no power.

This maked me think that the problem is differential related, but could it be something else? Bad cv joint maybe?

1972 2002tii- Cannibalized

1985 318i- Retired

1974 2002tii- daily driver (summer)

1999 323 e46- daily driver (winter)

Do you have an E21 diff fitted without using spacers or longer shafts?  The output flange is only held in with a round circlip along the shaft and will pop out if one of the above mods is not done, giving you no drive if you have an open diff.

'73 BMW 2002Tii,'89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo,'56 Renault 4CV with 16 TS motor, 

'76 BMW R90S, '68 BMW R60/2, '51 BMW R51/3, '38 BMW R71

Ipswich, Australia.

I dont believe that i have an e21 diff. Also my cv joints are still bolted to the flange. At this point i am thinking that it is something internal inside the differential.

I dont believe that i have an e21 diff. Also my cv joints are still bolted to the flange. At this point i am thinking that it is something internal inside the differential.

1972 2002tii- Cannibalized

1985 318i- Retired

1974 2002tii- daily driver (summer)

1999 323 e46- daily driver (winter)