• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silly Question?

ingramlee

Guys,

Quick, possibly stupid question. Is it possible to replace the heater valve without removing the heater box from the dash? I have seen Marshall's very nice article on refurbing the valve but it was already out of the car. I have a new valve on the way but I really! really! really! dont want to drop the heater if I dont have to. I apologize if this is a stupid question.

Thanks,

(1973 Fjord Blue 037) Vin 2588314- Build date February 6th, 1973- delivered to Hoffman Motors NYC February 8th.

Not a stupid question, and yes, you can replace the valve without removing the heater from the car.  The valve is (or was, as the case may be) fixed to the back of the heater box with short bolts/screws, and is also situated between a short section of hose that exits the back of the heater box, and a longer section of hose that connects to the back of the cylinder head.  The challenge is to detach the valve from the back of the heater box without breaking the plastic flange that holds the valve in place.  By removing the hose clamps that secure the valve between the sections of hose, and loosening the clamp that secures the activator cable to the valve, you should be able to remove the valve from the car and replace it.

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”

The heater valve is behind the firewall on the passenger side of the car. It's accessible from the engine compartment. Disconnect the hose to the engine. 2 small bolts hold the valve in place, but the heads of the bolts are hidden from view so it's a little difficult to remove. I've used a mirror to understand the orientation. Do not force anything. The mount for the valve is plastic and easily broken. Not the end of the world but avoidable.

There is one more bolt to remove. It holds a lever to the backside of the valve. Remove the bolt. DO NOT DISASSEMBLE THE CABLE FROM THE LEVER.

Once the valve is out of the car, note the orientation of the cable/lever, in-car setting (hot/cold), and the valve setting itself (open/closed). You will want to make sure the new valve is set the same way.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

Be careful loosening the nut clamping the cable to the valve lever. Mine was rusty, I was not careful, and ended up bending the cable 90 degrees trying to loosen the nut, then broke it trying to straighten the cable back out.

Brent

1974 2002 - Megasquirt and turbo

2018 BMW M2/ 2013 Porsche Cayenne Diesel

Thanks everyone for your responses, especially Marshall's build thread. Once I get the new valve I should be able to get it installed without too many issues. Hopefully!!

(1973 Fjord Blue 037) Vin 2588314- Build date February 6th, 1973- delivered to Hoffman Motors NYC February 8th.