• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Starting up an old 1600 with unknown old engine

sheggaw

Hello Everyone,

I had rescued this early '68 car about 4 years ago and didn't have time to look at it. It was kept in the deseret area here in So. Cal when I got it, unknown engine condition, with parts all over the place. Couple of days after I got it home, I poured AT fluid in the engine and left it at that. Last week, I added some oil through the plug inlet and turned the engine manualy and it moved alright. So, now I am ready to try starting it. I have read and re read the topics on this. But I would like to be cautious and outline what I am planning here. Please correct me if I am wrong:

1. Drain all fluids, fill with clean one

2. manually turn engine a couple of rounds

3. lube the valves with some grease or heavy oil

4.Start engine with the coil plug unplugged

4. make sure the oil sparyer bar sprays oil

5. Final check and start normally

I have been dreaming of building a replica 1600ti with my son. Got some nice parts that I would like to use on this car. I can use some help on finding info in 1600ti's, including the specs that make these car different from others. Will update the board with my progress.

THOU SHALT DRIVE AN 02

I think you mean crank engine with coil disconnected. Best to ground the big wire.I would crank until oil light goes off.

Did you put oil in each cyl?

If you start with valve cover off, you will have a mess. I would put some break-in grease or moly grease on the cam lobes and slowly pour oil over all the parts in there, as part of the fill.

You will need fresh gas, and maybe pull top of carb to see what float chamber looks like. Four year old gas residue can be a problem. The gas tank may be full of crap and the pick-up stainer clogged. I'd use a container of new gas and a tube to the fuel pump, but be VERY careful where you put it.

I'd spray car cleaner through the jets.

Then put some gas in the float bowl - a little will do.

I did put ATF/Oil in each cylinder, and yes meant to say crank the engine. I will look for the oil light indicator, and ofcouse the valve cover will be on there. I was planing on not using the gas tank, probably use a bottle for the gas. The carb for now will be just a cleaned up single barrel solex. Thanks for the reply.

THOU SHALT DRIVE AN 02

When I did my first start after sitting for 20+ years I did all of the above recommendations. Make sure fuel is cut off and coil is grounded. Then with a fresh battery, valve cover off and spark plugs removed -  turn the key to crank the engine over via the starter motor.  With the plugs out (no compression), the engine should spin freely and after a minute or so you will see oil dripping from the oil rail on to the valves.  The oil light on the dash should also turn off at this point if you have good oil pressure.  Now you can reconnect everything and see if it will start.  Good luck!   TR

'71 MGB - sold   '74 2002 - sold

'89 XR4Ti - sold  '94 Miata R Package - sold

'73 tii - restoration project - sold

Ray gets the safety award! 

I also started my car outside the garage and had the battery removed and on the ground next to the car.  Jumper cables were connected to the normal battery cables in the engine compartment.  So disconnecting electrial power would be fast/easy if needed. 

Make sure you have cold beverage ready just in case everything works and you want to celebrate! TR

Listen to these guys, sheggaw! TR gets my award for the Person-Most-Likely-to-Start-a-Long-Dead-Engine-without-Harming-the-Engine-in-Any-Way. I am at the opposite end of the spectrum: Step 1 - Check that there is oil in the engine; Step 2 - Crank that sum-bitch until is starts or croaks!

Good luck,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I forgot about the smoke. There was a lot! You might want to do the start up on a foggy day... :-)

post-43366-0-18094500-1423226534_thumb.j