• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have an original Window Sticker to share? Here's my '72 Baikal tii

COOP

Don't have the window sticker unfortunately...but I have everything else...
including original warranty cards, import tax documents, first registration in USA, service record book with all stamps...even the Blaupunkt Frankfurt warranty card and manual.

Wish I had that window sticker!

1973 2002Tii Agave "Gerta"-----1972 2002Tii Verona project-----------2003 Porsche 911 X51-------2016 FIAT Abarth--------2003 Porsche Boxster----------2005 Honda Element

On 2/13/2015 at 10:45 PM, otisdog said:

Both of the sunroof cars have "lower front seats". Was that standard?

In '76, "Lower Front Seats" were a $12 option that came on an increasing number of sunroof cars. The seat cushion was simply an inch or so lower than the standard cushion. The '75-'76 seats had a taller seat cushion than the earlier seats (BMW was simply putting their newly-designed e21 seats into the 02's, albeit with a slightly different upholstery pattern). I comfortably fit in my sunroof '70, but I could not fit in a sunroof '75 or '76 even with the Lower Front Seats. I should note that I'm 6'3" and had period-appropriate big hair in '76.

BMW realized this problem in '75 -- the headroom problem, not my big hair -- and began including the Lower Front Seats on many sunroof cars. But you could still find '75 and '76 cars that did not have this option. And, of course, this being BMW and its style of U.S. importing in the '70s -- BMW NA carried on Hoffman Motors' policy of pre-ordering all U.S.-delivery cars -- you could not factory order a car with Lower Front Seats: if you needed one, you had to hope your dealer could find one in the color you wanted!

I was ready to not buy a '76, solely because I could not fit comfortably in even a non-sunroof version with the standard seats, until the dealer said, "What if we take the Lower Front Seats out of that Chamonix sunroof car and put them in the non-sunroof Polaris car?" Well, he did, and that combination worked, so I bought a new non-sunroof example with Lower Front Seats swiped out of a new sunroof car. They show up not on my car's window sticker but on its sales receipt (photo below) as "Low Front Seats $12.00".

Regards,

Steve

post-41123-0-30710400-1423887117_thumb.j

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Interestingly, all of the stickers shown so far indicate that the car came with "independent suspension front and rear with torsion bars."

Maybe whoever compiled the specs simply assumed that all small German cars used torsion bars, or maybe they viewed coil springs as coiled-up torsion bars, or they were referring to the sway bars :)

Cool to see all of the original documents. Looks like the combination of inflation and weakening dollar in the '70s was a bitch!

Chris A.

---'73 BMW 2002tii road rally car, '86 Porsche 944 Turbo track rat, '90 Porsche 944S2 Cab daily/touring car, '81 Alfa Romeo GTV6 GT car/Copart special, '99 BMW Z3 Coupe daily driver/dog car, '74 Jensen-Healey roadster 
---other stuff

On 2/17/2015 at 0:47 AM, cda951 said:

Interestingly, all of the stickers shown so far indicate that the car came with "independent suspension front and rear with torsion bars."

Maybe whoever compiled the specs simply assumed that all small German cars used torsion bars, or maybe they viewed coil springs as coiled-up torsion bars, or they were referring to the sway bars :)

Cool to see all of the original documents. Looks like the combination of inflation and weakening dollar in the '70s was a bitch!

Torsion bars = anti-sway bars (these features are translated from the German, and not always into "street English")

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

Steve,

Very interesting about lower front seats, I had never heard of these.  I bought a Chamonix manual sunroof 2002 in 1974 and even though I am 6'5" I fit fine, I just reclined the seat a bit.  I also had a 76 with electric sunroof and I fit as there as well.  Most of my height is in the legs though. :)

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix

Steve,

Very interesting about lower front seats, I had never heard of these.  I bought a Chamonix manual sunroof 2002 in 1974 and even though I am 6'5" I fit fine, I just reclined the seat a bit.  I also had a 76 with electric sunroof and I fit as there as well.  Most of my height is in the legs though. :)

Chris,

And most of my height was in the torso and hair!

Regards,

Steve

The tii on mac's window sticker, VIN 2762987, would be a 1973 model year. It should have a manufacturing date between 2762757 (October 19, 1972) and 2763062 (November 15, 1972).

Steve

Edited by Conserv