• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 Colorado tii on eBay

Conserv

The previous seller of this car was the biggest scammer.  He had another car similar to this and painted it Colorado, too.  I went to look at it and this one was sitting in the driveway (this was a year and a half ago).  The car I went to see was advertised as a 5 speed and when we took it for a spin it turned out the linkage was so loose that he thought there were five gears but in fact there were just four...  Total moron.  He lived in Marina del Rey and bought these things at a police auction. 

This guy is probably just trying to recoup the shirt he probably lost on his original purchase. 

Edited by 70deluxe

I don't like to see anyone get scammed.  This critique is intended to protect the potential buyer.

the non-original cigarette lighter is a deal breaker for me

that, and the misaligned ash tray with the chrome worn off the handle

I smell a SmOker's Car... not that there is anything wrOng with that.

$_57.JPG

If you add brake fluid, it will just continue to run out of the leaking clutch master or slave. I always thought the Colorado/Marine blue combination was really popular. Hahaha!

"...brand new clutch, brand new clutch slave cylinder..."

it is probably a leaking clutch master cylinder... filling the pedal box under the new carpet.

If the fluid is below the clutch outlet, better look closely at brakes too (which are not mentioned).

"It is in excellent mechanical condition & can be enjoyed as is."

I wonder how "as is" the rest of the suspension rubber bits are.

Are the struts as old as the mounts?

Egads!  That car is missing all kinds of stuff just in the pictures you can see.  No telling what else is missing, too!

No hood latch rollers or rubber gaskets for the "box".  I bet there aren't any elephant noses either.

C'mon!  He doesn't even have the disc that goes on the vent window crank or the plastic cover that attaches on the inside door release handle

The plastic insert for the front windshield gasket is completely shot, too.

No washer bottle!

I can't go on it's too aggravating.

Edited by Tilux

Steve, I think you have predicted a coming trend as these cars increase in value. Proof from the archives of the delivery color. You almost have to have a COA from Porsche to get top dollar on a 911. The same is going to become increasingly important as tii's prices rise.

Edited by skipsfcr

Budweiser...It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Avatar photo courtesy K. Kreeger, my2002tii.com ©

Steve, I think you have predicted a coming trend as these cars increase in value. Proof from the archives of the delivery color. You almost have to have a COA from Porsche to get top dollar on a 911. The same is going to become increasingly important as tii's prices rise.

Thanks. Knowing that '02s have been undergoing re-paintings -- including color changes -- as well as ground-up restorations since the early '70s, even the Inka trunk and under-belly of 2762757 were of less value to me than an independent confirmation of the factory color from BMW Archives -- before I even extended an offer. It generally takes less than 24 hours to get that BMW Archives response.

Regards,

Steve

post-41123-0-58547900-1423485584_thumb.j

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Found out this info from BMW based on the VIN given.

The BMW 2002 tii US VIN 2762696 was manufactured on October 12th, 1972 and delivered on October 16th, 1972 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City. The original colour was Baikal metallic, paint code 042. 

I like Colorado but Baikal is a beautiful and rare color on these cars. To bad, in my opinion, that somewhere along the way it was repainted. 

Sam Adams
1972 Inka 2000tii Touring, 1968 Manila 1600-2, 2001 325iT

Found out this info from BMW based on the VIN given.

The BMW 2002 tii US VIN 2762696 was manufactured on October 12th, 1972 and delivered on October 16th, 1972 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City. The original colour was Baikal metallic, paint code 042.[/size]

I like Colorado but Baikal is a beautiful and rare color on these cars. To bad, in my opinion, that somewhere along the way it was repainted.

Thank you for doing this, Sam.

I hope the bidders are following this thread -- but I fear they are not!

My 2762757 was October 19th, 1972, so they cranked out at least 61 U.S. tii's from October 12th (a Thursday) to the 19th (also, obviously, a Thursday).

And it can always be painted back to Baikal. It's simply a matter of time and money!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

I absolute LOVE this forum! It is so impressive to me how observant and knowledgeable you people are when it comes to tiny details that I consistently miss...amazing. I have had 7 '02s since high school (Class of '86) and I feel consistently humbled by the knowledge base present here. I personally don't see anything "disrespectful to the cars" about the so-called "nitpicking." If anything, it's the opposite...it is the ultimate display of respect and homage to these wonderful vehicles to identify what is real and what is not real. Once the real and unreal has been identified, let the market decide what the consequent value of a given vehicle is or is not. To me, "disrespect" could not occur in a purer form than when someone pays top dollar for something that is either actively misrepresented or is just not what he/she understood it to be.

I'm excitedly looking forward to the mechanical completion of my '72 tii in a month or two because I'm going to post a ton of pictures here and open the car up for target practice! It will be a tremendous resource for me to have ALL of your input about every missing grommet, incorrectly painted bracket and mislocated sticker. This is a documented, 54K mile car and so I want to get this one right. You guys will be my "X Factor." I always dreamed of having a pristine, bone stock tii to keep my totally unoriginal '73 M2 tii company in the garage...

One other thing: I have to wonder (and would like your thoughts) if a color change is always necessarily a "value-reducer." In the case of my '72 tii, the original color was Sahara and it was changed to Baikal. So with total respect to the Sahara fans, the car was changed to a color that is generally considered to be more desirable than the original hue. Second, the cosmetic restoration was a bare shell, rotisserie job with no expense spared and there is nothing whatsoever to indicate the original color. Interesting, I noticed that even the original window sticker shows no indication of the original color, either by name or by code...

Thank you for being you!

COOP

Edited by COOP

LOL - color change:  Yup.   ti clone: Yup.  Nickpicker: Yup.   My late 73tii isn't even the correct color.  I'm kind of embarrassed after reading a chapter in Rob Siegel's  "Hack Mechanic" book about how folks converge like sharks on a newly posted 2002 (here on the FAQ).

Have fun with your car if you want to keep it!  Now if I had an original '69 Z/28 Camaro with 302 engine, Muncie 4-speed, black w/white stripes, Houndstooth interior, etc.  I'd keep it that way.  

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

LOL - what about the recent Porsche on BaT that had wooden wheels!  

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

...One other thing: I have to wonder (and would like your thoughts) if a color change is always necessarily a "value-reducer." In the case of my '72 tii, the original color was Sahara and it was changed to Baikal. So with total respect to the Sahara fans, the car was changed to a color that is generally considered to be more desirable than the original hue. Second, the cosmetic restoration was a bare shell, rotisserie job with no expense spared and there is nothing whatsoever to indicate the original color. Interesting, I noticed that even the original window sticker shows no indication of the original color, either by name or by code...

Thank you for being you!

COOP

You've asked for an opinion, so I will give you an opinion: mine! I believe, COOP, that there are still lots of different types of buyers for '02s.

One type -- and I probably represent this first type -- would likely not consider buying a fully restored, needs-nothing, color-changed car. I was thrilled to find the factory Inka 2762757 with its poor man's color change; but it was priced as needing a re-paint, and its amateur Malaga paint job does not extend into every nook and cranny. Inka was at the top of my very short list of colors, but it had to be a factory Inka car. I seriously doubt that most '02 buyers do what I did: obtain a BMW Archives report before making an offer.

Another type of buyer, a car investor, would probably, for different reasons than mine, shy away from a color-changed car or at least would not pay top dollar for it.

But for every me, and for every investor, there must be two dozen potential '02 buyers who value a great color over an original color. At present!

I believe that over time, however, as cars become older and more collectible, there is a gradual shift towards investor types (and possibly nutty types such as I). And, I would speculate, that 15 or 30 years from now, there will be a greater premium assigned to original color than outstanding color. At present, on the other hand, you'd probably have more buyers bidding on an outstanding color and there may be little if any premium associated with an original color.

Regards,

Stevey

You've asked for an opinion, so I will give you an opinion: mine! I believe, COOP, that there are still lots of different types of buyers for '02s.

One type -- and I probably represent this first type -- would likely not consider buying a fully restored, needs-nothing, color-changed car. I was thrilled to find the factory Inka 2762757 with its poor man's color change; but it was priced as needing a re-paint, and its amateur Malaga paint job does not extend into every nook and cranny. Inka was at the top of my very short list of colors, but it had to be a factory Inka car. I seriously doubt that most '02 buyers do what I did: obtain a BMW Archives report before making an offer.

Another type of buyer, a car investor, would probably, for different reasons than mine, shy away from a color-changed car or at least would not pay top dollar for it.

But for every me, and for every investor, there must be two dozen potential '02 buyers who value a great color over an original color. At present!

I believe that over time, however, as cars become older and more collectible, there is a gradual shift towards investor types (and possibly nutty types such as I). And, I would speculate, that 15 or 30 years from now, there will be a greater premium assigned to original color than outstanding color. At present, on the other hand, you'd probably have more buyers bidding on an outstanding color and there may be little if any premium associated with an original color.

Regards,

Stevey

Great insights! Thank you...I guess for now the most important thing is that I have no intention of selling...and Baikal makes my heart flutter while Sahara just leaves me cold.

COOP

So, if we can believe the report from BMW Archive that this was a Baikal tii from day one. And, if we believe the pic posted on page one from a previous seller showing what looks like a Polaris Silver pair of rear wheel wells, then what explanation makes sense? One that makes sense to me is a chop the car in half and weld on a Polaris Silver back half to repair a significant wreck. A lift is needed to check for a weld seam, across the floor pan somewhere. Or, the pic is wrong and it is just a repainted Baikal tii. The right well could be faded Baikal paint, but an up close inspection is needed to verify it. Strange auction, no doubt