• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 Colorado tii on eBay

Conserv

So, if we can believe the report from BMW Archive that this was a Baikal tii from day one. And, if we believe the pic posted on page one from a previous seller showing what looks like a Polaris Silver pair of rear wheel wells, then what explanation makes sense? One that makes sense to me is a chop the car in half and weld on a Polaris Silver back half to repair a significant wreck. A lift is needed to check for a weld seam, across the floor pan somewhere. Or, the pic is wrong and it is just a repainted Baikal tii. The right well could be faded Baikal paint, but an up close inspection is needed to verify it. Strange auction, no doubt

There's a $3,500 Buy-It-Now '02 currently on eBay. It looks to be an originally Sahara car, repainted Polaris, repainted Dark Blue. In 40-plus years, multiple color changes are possible!

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I am way late to the party on this thread, but on ebay, the pics of the car's trunk show the color as black.  Which is usually the sign of a color change.  

Steve, you made out on that Inka car.  Good job on that.

COOP, great post describing the buyers.  More articulate than I would have put forth.  

With tiis having a bit more upside, it makes a little more sense to not be totally scared off a car by a color change, if the body is basically good.  It's almost better if the color change is badly done!  I mean, if you get a nice tii for under $15K, and have to put $10K into putting it back to the original color, you're not too upside-down, if at all.  

Scott

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

I am way late to the party on this thread, but on ebay, the pics of the car's trunk show the color as black. Which is usually the sign of a color change.

Steve, you made out on that Inka car. Good job on that.

COOP, great post describing the buyers. More articulate than I would have put forth.

With tiis having a bit more upside, it makes a little more sense to not be totally scared off a car by a color change, if the body is basically good. It's almost better if the color change is badly done! I mean, if you get a nice tii for under $15K, and have to put $10K into putting it back to the original color, you're not too upside-down, if at all.

Scott

Hi, Scott,

The trunk photos weren't part of the original eBay listing, but everything else was saying "color change" when I drafted the original post. You make a good point that a really inadequate color change gets one a good price: that was somewhat the case with my Inka car, but I still think I was nearly $2K over "market" when I bought it in June 2014. Of course, I REALLY wanted an Inka sunroof example, so then maybe "market" for an Inka sunroof example was truly $10K (the listing said it was originally an Inka car, but I was the only interested party that actually had a PPI done).

And, yes, a '73 factory Baikal tii is certainly a hot ticket, provided the price is right for the quality of the "bones". And, quite honestly -- well, this is how I justified spending $10K for my Inka car -- any 40-year-old tii (that has not had a comprehensive restoration or lots of maintenance continuously over the years) is going to require a substantial investment of time and money. An extra $1K, $2K, $3K up front -- you get the picture -- is a relatively small investment if it gets you the right car.

The real question I have with this Colorado eBay car -- now at $15,850 -- is whether it does have good bones. Everything we can see has been done in a slip-shod manner. So I'm betting the things we cannot see, such as the engine overhaul, are less than "Korman-quality"! Rust? That black paint hides a lot; I hope whoever does the PPI knows his/her '02s and has a sharp screwdriver/"probe" in his/her pocket!

This could conceivably be a great restoration candidate, but it exudes symptoms of slap-dash preparation!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

Yeah, I agree, there isn't much that impresses re that Colorado car on ebay. Those rims alone are a red flag.   ;)

Any time parts and pieces are just missing, it makes you wonder.  

And yes, any car is going to need money to be put in it, more than likely.  I've had my car forever, and it still needs a bunch of work!

Scott

Edited by saaron

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

my guess is that the high bidder will end up not buying the car after looking at it...or he'll possibly buy it for considerably less than what was bid....

or we'll possibly see a repeat auction

I vote with you, Esty!

The high bidder apparently retracted his/her bid, so the current high bid has dropped to $15,650.

Maybe either a PPI, or he/she read this thread!

Steve

Edited by Conserv

If allowed, let me be a smartass, too.

The front lid is too high and the trim doesn't line up with the front nose. Had an accident?

All 2002s have chrome-black grills, but this is not important.

Remaining rust at the front bumpers or reflections?

Rear ends of the front bumper not fixed. Bumper too low.

What's with the bumper line behind the plate? Bent?

Flag mirrors instead of trapezoids.

Misaligned driver's door to the rocker trim.

Rear bumper bent at the sidewalls. Bent in the middle section. Holes in the lower line.

No BMW on the trunk lid on a 72, both on one car look stupid.

Trunk lid too high, it may hit the sidewalls with its front corners.

The entire engine bay is a simple catastrophy. Firewall bent, radiator wall bent from left to right, radiator bent, overspray everywhere, different injector lines, silver spray on the pump's upper body, slubbery wiring, eventually bondo at the inside of the turn signals, blue nuts and screws for struts and fuse box, caps for the brake fluid bottle's screws are missing, strut bearings torn,...

Right rocker trim loose at the end, a fixing hole can be seen.

Rocker trim-piercing left, hualp.

No stock carpet, look at the pedal surround. Rusty heater level skirt. Chrome at the door panels, hmhm. Speakers. Skyliner cracked?

Welding patches in the spare wheel case or cloth?

Two fuel lines above the rear suspension's subframe?

White trunk lid upholder. Paint nose below the rear window.

Sorry, guys, but if this car was offered here, it would never go for 15,000 Talers.

Just my...  how many? Cents.

Henning

I love the super long hose clamp in the intake!

That's nasty.  The clamp on the other end of the bellows is worth it's weight in gold, though.

1973 tii, agave, since 1992

1973 tii block 2763759

1967 Mustang GT fastback, since 1986

1999 Toyota 4Runner, 5 speed, ELocker, Supercharged

Just a quick Question, did the antenna ever appear on the passenger pillar as this one is ? all my 02's are on the driver's A pillar.

1970 4 speed 2002 (Daily driver/track car ) 
1974  Hybrid powered twin cam engine, Pig Cheeks , ( now a round tail.) Getting ready to Sell 

This is being discussed on "Bring-A-Trailer", where it has popped up on their radar, not once, but twice:

http://bringatrailer.com/2015/02/10/matching-numbers-two-owner-1973-bmw-2002tii/

Auction closes soon.  Popcorn is ready!

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

Just a quick Question, did the antenna ever appear on the passenger pillar as this one is ? all my 02's are on the driver's A pillar.

Yep, all were dealer installed.

Mine was on the right side, until I shaved it (no I haven't found a proper stealth replacement).

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Ray , that is strange I've currently got 5 02's & had 3 others , all antenna on the left post , maybe it's a west coast , east coast thing :) West on the left post East on the right post ????? ;)

1970 4 speed 2002 (Daily driver/track car ) 
1974  Hybrid powered twin cam engine, Pig Cheeks , ( now a round tail.) Getting ready to Sell 

One other thing: I have to wonder (and would like your thoughts) if a color change is always necessarily a "value-reducer." In the case of my '72 tii, the original color was Sahara and it was changed to Baikal. So with total respect to the Sahara fans, the car was changed to a color that is generally considered to be more desirable than the original hue. Second, the cosmetic restoration was a bare shell, rotisserie job with no expense spared and there is nothing whatsoever to indicate the original color. Interesting, I noticed that even the original window sticker shows no indication of the original color, either by name or by code...

Coop,

I repainted my Sahara tii, Sahara. I find Sahara desirable and I come from the camp that if you want an 02 in a certain color, find one in that color, don't repaint it to the color you want.

If anyone on this board is looking for an original Colorado 02, here's one with no overspray. 

Ad has your favorite words, "or best offer".

http://brunswick.craigslist.org/cto/4854439470.html

G-Man

Edited by Gordon

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner