• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 Colorado tii on eBay

Conserv

Ray , that is strange I've currently got 5 02's & had 3 others , all antenna on the left post , maybe it's a west coast , east coast thing :) West on the left post East on the right post ????? ;)

OK. First, no radios installed in U.S.-bound '02s were installed at the factory, so there was no factory standard saying, "All antennas shall be mounted on the left A pillar." As Ray notes above, most radios and, hence, antennas were installed by BMW dealers. Although a Blaupunkt radio may be the most common dealer-installed radio, who was policing their installation? No one. In addition, many radios were installed by owners, buddies of owners, independent radio shops, the corner garage, and who knows who? Who was policing these installations? No one. Some cars received their first radios years after they were manufactured. Who was policing these installations? Again, no one. So...I believe most U.S. cars got left A pillar antennas, but some didn't! I'm from the Northeast, an '02 owner continuously since June 6, 1973, and I've seen lots of left A pillar antennas, a handful of right A pillar antennas, plus a few right-fender antennas -- including my own '67 1600-2, which had a 6-volt Motorola AM radio I believe was original. In short, I don't know how to turn antenna placement into meaningful information!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Coop,

I repainted my Sahara tii, Sahara. I find Sahara desirable and I come from the camp that if you want an 02 in a certain color, find one in that color, don't repaint it to the color you want.

If anyone on this board is looking for an original Colorado 02, here's one with no overspray. 

Ad has your favorite words, "or best offer".

http://brunswick.craigslist.org/cto/4854439470.html

G-Man

Lol, would that be "Camp Grumpy?"

As previously posted, I randomly found the car in 1998 in an NYC parking garage and sold it less than a year later to my boss/friend who opted to paint it Baikal during a complete restoration...I just bought it back from him last year.  I didn't "want an 02 in a certain color," at the time...I just wanted to get home from a long day at work, but happened to stumble on a '72 tii with 46K miles on the way downtown, which was quite a nice surprise. 

Having said that, if I had paid for the restoration, I would have changed the color as well, simply because I am personally not partial to Sahara (and again, as I was clear to express in my post, total respect to you and to others who do like it, there's room in this world for people who like and dislike all '02 colors). 

With regard to your instruction about "if you want an 02 in a certain color, find one in that color, don't repaint it to the color you want," the only problem with that is that there is not exactly an abundance of '72 tiis available for the finding in any color...It might be a long and arduous journey for someone looking for a low-mileage, '72 tii in a specific original color.

COOP

Edited by COOP

I agree completely with the idea of "It's my car and I'll do what I want with it." So, if you want to repaint it in a different color, go ahead. Add 20" wheels and shag carpet, too, if that's what you want. But if a car comes up for sale and the owner tries to say the color or equipment is original when it's not, that's where the game ends. Do what you want, but stay honest about what you've done!

'73 Tii - Malaga 2763751

'72 Tii - Turkis 2762380 - sold

'74 Turbo - silver 4290633 - sold

'76 Jade Green - sold

'74 Tii - Siennabraun 2781572 - sold

'76 Verona - bought new - sold

I agree completely with But if a car comes up for sale and the owner tries to say the color or equipment is original when it's not, that's where the game ends. Do what you want, but stay honest about what you've done!

To be fair, nowhere in the eBay listing did the seller claim this was a factory Colorado car. The BAT notes -- source completely unknown -- claimed it was a Colorado car originally. Did the author of the BAT notes speak/correspond with the seller, who made that claim outside of the eBay listing? I certainly don't know.

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)