• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The "Because Why Not" Tii

roadhog0

I think mike forgot I've been around the FAQ a while now  :lol: Guess I gotta start posting more  ;)

Yah, y'all got the VIN right. Its for the most part a box stock car with the addition of go fast mouse turds! I could only do so much of the mouse turds yesterday before I had to stop. Plus I need a shop vac, I didn't bring one over from my folks place... But yah, the sheep skin has gotta go! They'll probably get cut off today then some more cleaning. It's another sunny day in Ellensburg so might as well get something done!!

As far as my plans for the car it's to stay box stock (I wish it still had the Koni's installed on it in the 80's) and not do anything real wild to it. As most of y'all know I've already got one of those  B)

And Mark, you're spot on to my plans with the car! It's gonna get cleaned up and a clear coat to keep the current patina it's got. Yah, maybe someday it will be restored, but until then it's gonna look ratty!!

1505303_10205275146384393_21228176974295

Edited by roadhog0

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

Yep, a '73 is the best year to have, but why hasn't anyone told you Malaga is the best color, too? They must have forgot. What do you mean I'm prejudiced?

'73 Tii - Malaga 2763751

'72 Tii - Turkis 2762380 - sold

'74 Turbo - silver 4290633 - sold

'76 Jade Green - sold

'74 Tii - Siennabraun 2781572 - sold

'76 Verona - bought new - sold

Check to see what kind of brake fluid it's got. Looks like it was changed over to Silicone brake fluid in 1989 with new calipers, wheel cylinders and master cylinder. Same time it got the Koni's. Don't mix with Dot 4.

Good catch! I think it has leaked all its fluid out so I gotta figure out where... It's in the cleaning phase right now because it's so dirty and nasty I dont even want to mess with it mechanically yet. But thank's for pointing that out! Sadly though the Koni's at least in the rear are gone... I wasnt happy when I saw that, but for what I paid I dont complain too much!

I like Malaga, I just wish I didn't have another one :P But oh well, it's got character!

Got the NASTY sheep skin covers off today and found a perfect passenger seat and an almost perfect drivers seat, it has a rip on the side of it... Nothing a patch cant fix though!

-Nathan

Thought I would share some pictures for yesterday. I plan to start a project blog for this bad boy rather soon. Just gotta do it! LOL! But, I vacuumed it out, cleaned up the rust in the spare tire well, and did made the door shut by itself!

IMG_0168.JPG

IMG_0170.JPG

IMG_0171.JPG

IMG_0172.JPG

Edited by roadhog0

-Nathan

I'm loving the condition and originality of this car.  Those seats appear to have a single tear!  And look at their shape: no sags, no wrinkles.

All good.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Yah, it is absolutely amazing how mostly original this thing is! Its got a few small electrical oddities, but past that is pretty much the way it came from the factory!

-Nathan

wegweiser says,  "Bone stock, properly tuned tiis are WAY more fun that you'd expect .... there's something so very *right* about a stock tii."

I somehow find myself 100% agreeing with that sentiment !!

And those seat covers, no tears/holes/rips/etc ..... Sierra Hotel, they look great !!  Soak 'em down with ArmorAll, they'll look better than mine !!!

Cheers,

Carl

Sweet score, Nathan! Congrats on the new project, can't wait to hear more about it as she cleans up. I've got an extra set of short stud strut bearings if you need 'em, brand new no miles. Let me know, maybe we can work a trade on a case of beer from your side of the mountains or something ;-)

Phil

1987 E28 535is -- Buttercup

1974 2002tii -- Pretty Penny

1994 E34 M5 -- Horehund

2001 E36/7 M Roadster -- Shaggy

Sweet score, Nathan! Congrats on the new project, can't wait to hear more about it as she cleans up. I've got an extra set of short stud strut bearings if you need 'em, brand new no miles. Let me know, maybe we can work a trade on a case of beer from your side of the mountains or something ;-)

Phil

I will hit you up for those! I got plenty of beer options over here to choose from!

The bumper I actually have to straighten some because it rubs the tire on the driver side :/ I also have to adjust the linkage and k-fish, from the way the plugs came out she runs really rich! I did spray some PB blaster down the holes yesterday in preparation for lightly spinning it over. But I gotta wait til the weekend to do more work. It's dark by the time I get home :( 

-Nathan

I agree with the "stock tiis are the bees knees" stuff.  Mine is totally stock except for electronic ignition.

You can get the 3 linkage pieces for the FI new from BMW, I think.  Also, someone makes a pre-measured set (Fahuna, maybe?).

Getting it measured correctly, and having that stuff new is cheap insurance.  You will probably be tweaking the injection, and having new linkages (esp the sockets not being worn) is helpful.  It gives you that base to work from - eliminates variables.

tiis are sensitive to ignition and ignition timing, too.  Renewing the points/condenser or putting in an electronic system, and setting the timing, is also good insurance.  

Billions of tii tuning posts on here.  The Macartney book has a good section on it, and there's the video floating around. 

You might already know all this.

Good luck and have fun!

Scott

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

I didnt think to replace the linkage parts, that's an interesting idea. Im going to get it at least running first then start digging in to tuning and the like. At some point I need to buy/make the tii adjustment tools so I can have those on hand. One of these days... Right now my 76 requires attention, so this one is not getting lots. More cleaning than anything else.

-Nathan

Your tii looks killer.  I recently put the stock bus wheel back on my 73 and love it.  Keeping it stock is fun. 

TIP: If it's still got the original linkage piece going to the KF pump (with nylon linkage ends), try to salvage it or don't mess with it.  Those are better than the newer replacement metal linkage end pieces for that one linkage.  The replacements for the others are fine.  That one is special.

Edited by JohnS

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️