• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Swapping out the auto for a 4spd how to???

richinatlanta

I know that the reservoir is still available new from BMW with some checking up and some info from Andrew at IE but not sure what part number I'm looking for with the pilot bearing on the crank..would it be a part specifically for the 4 speed because I have the 5 speed overdrive i'm doing this upcoming week and need to figure this out. Auto to 5speed that is.

Yes you can still buy new reservoirs from BMW but I got a nice used one for mine. About the same patina as the car. The same pilot bearing is used on either the 4 or 5 speed but there are two different sizes. That is determined by the hole in the end of your crankshaft. The smaller 21mm is a needle bearing and the larger 32mm is a ball bearing. You really have to measure the end of your crankshaft as BMW was going back and forth between the two. Mine was the 21mm but my engine is from a '77..

While you'll need to swap out your automatic driveshaft for a 4 speed one, once you have a 4 speed driveshaft it will bolt right in--no modifications necessary.  You only need to shorten the driveshaft if you're gonna install a 5 speed.  

You might want to check realoem to see if the rear tranny crossmember used on the automatic is different from the one used on stick shift cars.  

You'll be able to use the automatic speedometer cable with the 4 speed--and it'll also work with a five speed.

As has been pointed out, if you're gonna go to all the trouble of installing a stick in an automatic, I'd go the extra bit and install a 5 speed.  I did that 11 years ago and it's been the best single improvement I've made to my '73 in 37 years of ownership.  

cheers

mike 

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Yes you can still buy new reservoirs from BMW but I got a nice used one for mine. About the same patina as the car. The same pilot bearing is used on either the 4 or 5 speed but there are two different sizes. That is determined by the hole in the end of your crankshaft. The smaller 21mm is a needle bearing and the larger 32mm is a ball bearing. You really have to measure the end of your crankshaft as BMW was going back and forth between the two. Mine was the 21mm but my engine is from a '77..

Very interesting, once I measure it I'll have to contact BMW about ordering the part. You wouldn't happen to know where else I could find one of the two? Or maybe I could get it from my 82 e21 parts car which has an m10..

Very interesting, once I measure it I'll have to contact BMW about ordering the part. You wouldn't happen to know where else I could find one of the two? Or maybe I could get it from my 82 e21 parts car which has an m10..

You can get the pilot bearing from Blunt, BMW, Autohauaz or any number of online retailers. It's only about $15 so buy it new. I would never go with a used bearing as they are a wear point. Plus you will probably damage it on removal. 

post-41415-0-38737800-1424271240_thumb.p

#14 is the 32mm ball bearing - #19 the 21mm needle bearing