• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mirror Cage nut

1972-2002

Huh?  This must be a new NLA part. They are delicate and don't last if you remove and replace.  If you do find them (I bought mine from a BMW dealer) they are assembled incorrectly in my opinion.

The idea is that they are flush with the outer door skin surface and have a flat bar nut tightened to the inner surface of the door skin.  When you receive the cage, the flat bar nut is held below a détente, and when you tighten the bolt the cage distorts because the nut can't pass the détente.  Best to move the nut above the détente before use.  Hope that's clear. 

post-38825-0-31162100-1424284216_thumb.j

Edited by PaulTWinterton

73 Inka Tii #2762958

I got the correct cage nut from blunt however after a year the mirror was loose. Most likely due to the problem identified above. I ended up replacing the oem cage nut with a collapsible leg nut that i just happened to have lying around and it worked great!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-Steel-Blind-Jack-Nut-1-4-20x0-71-/321243033399?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6393

Edited by Stevenc22

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

I have a couple extra OE cage nuts lying around. PM me your address and I'll stick them in an envelope (with padding) and send 'em gratis.

Edited by kiva667

1967 2000 #1326213 SOLD / 1972 2002 Verona - insurance loss / 1962 700 Luxus SOLD / 1975 530i Malaga SOLD

http://nk2000project.blogspot.com/

"Rust Never Sleeps"

When you go to install the pax side mirror, remove your driver's side mirror and its bracket, and make a paper template using the front edge of the door and the sill trim as locators.  Then turn the template over and you'll have the proper location for your pax side mirror.

While you have the driver's side mirror off, measure those keyhole-shaped holes so you can duplicate 'em on the pax side.  Once you've drilled the holes and filed out the notches, be sure and dab a little paint around those raw edges, otherwise I'll guarantee you'll have rust.  And if given enough time, the rust will allow the cage nuts to pull through.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I have a couple extra OE cage nuts lying around. PM me your address and I'll stick them in an envelope (with padding) and send 'em gratis.

Good on ya, kiva667

While you have the driver's side mirror off, measure those keyhole-shaped holes so you can duplicate 'em on the pax side. Once you've drilled the holes and filed out the notches, be sure and dab a little paint around those raw edges, otherwise I'll guarantee you'll have rust. And if given enough time, the rust will allow the cage nuts to pull through.

Good advice.

73 Inka Tii #2762958