• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear brake adjuster fit

JohnH

Danz,

Let me look in my stash of old parts.  I might have some used stock (230mm) backing plates that are functional.  If so, I'll send them to you for the price of shipping.  Will look tomorrow and post a pic of what I find.  I'd go with new ones if I was going through the trouble of replacing them though.  It was a PITA, at least for me.

John

I looked and didn't find any usable 230mm backing plates.  Sorry.  Like ncbbird says above, probably wiser to go with the E21 250mm upgrade if replacing the backing plates.  Easier to find the E21 parts like good brake shoes, etc. anyway.  Ireland Engineering sells a nice kit for this.  Good luck,

John

Edited by JohnS

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

Planning on new plates.  Haven't had time to work on the car lately due to work.  Hopefully removal of the hub and plates goes without issue.  Like most of my projects this started out as a simple brake job.  Oh well, safety first.

What started as new brake shoes has expanded to new backing plates, shoes and brake cylinders. The old cylinders were partially frozen and rusted. Luckily the dismantling went well with the help of a rented hub socket and puller. Hope to have it back on the road next week.

My original project was to just get the car, so I could manually roll it around my garage. Though I've met my aims, I will revisit and do the job properly. The biggest problem was removing the hub. My conventional 3-leg puller wouldn't touch it. As chance would have it, just as I was finishing part 1 of the project, this turned up on ebay;

post-35003-0-26561400-1429596458_thumb.j

Its an Elora 175-3 Made in West Germany during the late sixties and still available new today, and is described in their catalog as suitable for cars and light commercial vehicles. I'll report back on how it works.

02tii 2751928 (2582)

Stumped here. Replaced backing plates, shoes and cylinders. Took it for a drive and heard a scraping noise from the left rear. Thought the brake was dragging so I pulled the wheel to look and found that the drum is hitting the backing plate and scraping the edge. I want to start driving the car but not sure what happened.

post-45633-14299826408939_thumb.jpgpost-45633-14299826504561_thumb.jpgpost-45633-14299826600739_thumb.jpg

Looking at this diagram of the rear stub axle assembly and my own drums and backing plate it would appear that the outer lip of the backing plate wraps around the drum and that an offset flange on the drum then creates a partial seal;

post-35003-0-31697900-1430027233_thumb.j

Its hard to tell from your photos, but your drum doesn't seem to conform to that of the diagram.

Which setup have you gone with? The original Tii or the E21 upgrade?

02tii 2751928 (2582)

Standard Tii brakes. I'm wondering if the plate is not flat to spec. I would think that the rubbing would occur 360 de gif the plate was flat. The interference is from the cylinder area about 1/4 around the plate.

I am going to attempt to bend it out a bit if it measures out of flat. I swapped the drums to rule out the drum but the issue remains only on the passenger side. Won't get to it until next weekend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Had time this weekend to tweak the backing plate. With several attempts I seem to have eliminated the interference. This will not likely be an issue with braking just frustrating that the new parts didn't work when first installed. Now for state inspection and it's ready for summer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

welcome to the world of 40yo cars.  plug and play does not apply with anything...stock part or not.  I just assume nothing will ever fit first try with these cars....that way when it does occaisionally i am pleasantly surprised!

2xM3