• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to remove frozen brake lines, what I learned

peterschop

+1 on getting a quality flare nut wrench - snap on seems to make the best though I have been using an old 7/16" MAC (7/16" is a tight 11mm) for years and it has never let me down. 

Most other flare nut wrenches spread like a $2 ho and will leave you feeling shame and remorse...  much like a $2 ho.

WTB: 1.6L Aft (cyl 3&4) or Set of Side Draft Manifolds - Dellorto parts - Littlejohn BMX

+1 on getting a quality flare nut wrench - snap on seems to make the best though I have been using an old 7/16" MAC (7/16" is a tight 11mm) for years and it has never let me down. 

Most other flare nut wrenches spread like a $2 ho and will leave you feeling shame and remorse...  much like a $2 ho.

this seems like a lesson some of us have to learn, unfortunately (the wrench that is).  i too started out with a craftsman flared wrench and in return, was treated to rounded lines.  the cost of the one Snap-on wrench equaled the entire Craftsman set and it has never failed me.  looking at the difference, the Craftsman wrench has chamfered edges which lesson the contact surface.  other than this wrench, i have no issues with Craftsman tools.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

this seems like a lesson some of us have to learn, unfortunately (the wrench that is).  i too started out with a craftsman flared wrench and in return, was treated to rounded lines.  the cost of the one Snap-on wrench equaled the entire Craftsman set and it has never failed me.  looking at the difference, the Craftsman wrench has chamfered edges which lesson the contact surface.  other than this wrench, i have no issues with Craftsman tools.

I agree - especially the vintage craftsman tools - I made a good living for a long time with Craftsman tools...

WTB: 1.6L Aft (cyl 3&4) or Set of Side Draft Manifolds - Dellorto parts - Littlejohn BMX

In the rear, and in the front for that matter, chances are that your rubber lines have swelled shut. I would suggest removing the rubber section of the line/hose and using a deep well socket to remove the end.

-Robert

1969 2002 to be S14 powered

Vision without execution is just hallucination - Thomas Edison 

Okay, after I used peterschop's Magi-Tool (ViseGrip 4LW) on my front and rear hard lines, I no problems breaking them free and putting the new lines. Foolish me; I thought I'd be home-free on the rest of the hardlines. That is, till I crawled underneath 'Schatzi' and realized the rear-to-front line is tucked "way the frig up there", nicely hidden and ensconced under the driveshaft and rear exhaust pipe. Gotta drop both of 'em before I can access that brass junction connector. Dang! And there I was, figuring a cake-walk of a repair job.  I completely forgot to multiply the estimated hours for repair times 8...!!!  I'll never learn. Oh, and did I mention how freakin cold it still is in NY??? Moving to a warmer, more southern clime seems more tempting every day.

-Bob

-Bob
(current: 1972 Malaga 2002, VIN 2584644, build date July 26, 1972)

Previous: 1973 Sahara 2002 #2585896 (RIP), 1969 1600, 1971 2002, 1964 Triumph Herald convertible, 1965 Triumph Herald convertible, 1961 Triumph TR3A, 1967 Triumph TR4A-irs, 1959 Austin Healey 100/6, and about 10 other cars (most of which were quite boring)...