• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Battery choice and upgrade altenator help

Koblenz

Guys.  I know there are threads here regarding correct battery choices and another thread on what stronger alternator to consider.  I searched and did not find anything.  Any link help would be appreciated.

I am running HID headlights, LED tails and want to install a stereo and driving lamps.  I am electrically challenged.

i just typed "battery" into search box and picked google search.  many threads on battery options....

then typed "alternator upgrade" in the search box and selected google search.  again, lots of great info.  including a video on how to install an e21 alt.

maybe you didn't select one of the search options from the pull down menu?

Edited by mlytle

2xM3

Our cars came with a size 26R battery.  Fit's properly in the small tray.  If you are using stock hold-down parts examine the modern batteries for clamp points on the base (sides and/or front).  There is a lot of variation out there.  Secure clamping is good risk management.

Edited by PaulTWinterton

73 Inka Tii #2762958

Our cars came with a size 26R battery. Fit's properly in the small tray....

The non-tii's actually can take, and originally did take, a larger battery than the tii's, simply because there is more available room in the non-tii engine compartment. And the battery tray is larger. In addition, tii battery trays use a hold-down on the battery's short side whereas non-tii battery trays use a hold-down on the battery's long side; others here can confirm whether these are universal rules for tii's and non-tii's. Group 26R is the tii size, and some owners use a 26R in their non-tii's. But I believe you'll find a Group 47 corresponds to the original size for non-tii's. My '76's battery fits it perfectly, but it would not fit into the '73 tii.

Regards,

Steve

EDIT: I have a Group 47 in the '76.

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Unless the battery companies have changed their battery's capacities, a 26R has a higher CCA rating than a comparable 42...I used Group 42s (same as 12v VW Beetles and Rabbits) until I discovered the 26R with more capacity and a better fit.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

What you guys think of AC Delco Battery

600 CCA?

I'd look for more CCAs, and also pay attention to the RC number.

----------------

GET THE RIGHT KIND OF POWER
How do you know which battery is right for your vehicle? Here are some of the key factors you should consider. If you are unsure of the requirements in any of these areas, check your vehicle manual or talk to your mechanic for the original equipment (OE) manufacturer’s recommendations for:

Technology type: Different vehicles and driving styles can place varying demands on your battery. It’s important to first determine whether a conventional starting battery will meet your vehicle’s needs, or whether a deep-cycle or AGM battery is required.

Battery group size: This refers to the battery size that will best fit the physical dimensions, terminal locations and type required for your vehicle. Group size is typically based on your vehicle’s make, model and engine type. Although some vehicles may accommodate a battery from more than one group size, it is important that you use a battery approved for use in your vehicle. Consult a replacement guide to find the battery group size that works for your vehicle. Also, make sure your new battery will fit and be held down properly according to the vehicle manufacturer’s specifications.

Replacement batteries should equal or exceed the OE battery in ratings. Replacing a battery with a battery that has a lower capacity rating than the original equipment may result in poor performance and shorter life. If the replacement battery has considerably less capacity than the OE battery, it may not crank the engine adequately at cold temperatures. Consult a replacement guide to ensure that the replacement battery will fit with the correct clearance under the hood.

Cold cranking amps (CCA): CCA is a rating used in the battery industry to define a battery's ability to start an engine in cold temperatures. Generally speaking, it is easier to start an engine in a warm environment than in a cold environment. The rating refers to the number of amps a 12-volt battery can deliver at 0°F for 30 seconds while maintaining a voltage of at least 7.2 volts. The higher the CCA rating, the greater the starting power of the battery.

Reserve capacity (RC): RC is a general indicator of how long a new, fully charged battery can continue to operate essential accessories if the vehicle’s alternator fails. It identifies how many minutes the battery can deliver a constant current of 25 amps at 80°F without falling below the minimum voltage, 1.75 volts per cell, needed to keep your vehicle running.

C20 capacity: Some premium batteries also define their C20 capacity in ampere-hour (Ah). C20 capacity is an indicator of how much energy is stored in a battery. It is the energy a battery can deliver continuously for 20 hours at 80°F without falling below 10.5 volts.

In general, for CCA, RC and C20 ratings, the higher the number, the better. However, there are still other factors to consider when choosing the right battery.

If you live in a cold climate, the CCA rating is a more important consideration than it is if you live in a warm climate. Battery starting power deteriorates as the battery ages, so a battery with higher starting power should give you more confidence over time.
If you live in a hot climate, heat accelerates battery degradation. You may want to choose a product that is specially designed for the hot climate.
If you’re looking to power a vehicle with numerous electronic features or plug-in accessories, you should consider a deep-cycle battery or a battery made with advanced technology like AGM.
Warranty: Look for a hassle-free warranty that includes a free-replacement time frame.

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

Following the original owner's routine for my '76, I went to my local BMW dealer to buy a stock battery. It looks clean and fits nicely in the tray. Then I removed all the silly stickers. I don't know the specs, but the BMW batteries in these things last a long time, even with upgraded lights, alarm and stereo. The dealer wouldn't give my anything for my old battery but I dropped it off with him anyway. The kids at the service desk had never seen an '02 before and thought it was pretty cool.

Following the original owner's routine for my '76, I went to my local BMW dealer to buy a stock battery. It looks clean and fits nicely in the tray. Then I removed all the silly stickers. I don't know the specs, but the BMW batteries in these things last a long time, even with upgraded lights, alarm and stereo. The dealer wouldn't give my anything for my old battery but I dropped it off with him anyway. The kids at the service desk had never seen an '02 before and thought it was pretty cool.

Part number? Group number? Please don't leave us hanging!

Thanks and regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)