• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Battery choice and upgrade altenator help

Koblenz

Sorry I just left it up to the parts guy. He knew the car but didn't know if they had the proper battery for it. So he looked it up in their computer system and went to the back to get it. It seems like they don't have a lot of choice, and it was a bit more expensive than Pep Boys - about $80 w/CCA discount. The old battery was bought the same way, about 15 years ago so I didn't pay so much attention. I trust my local dealer.

Edited by dorwoon

As an addendum to my post above, my AutoZone battery (Duralast) is a P/N 47-90-DL. It has the lip on the inboard bottom that the hold down clamp captures. As others have mentioned, it sits in the battery tray perfectly in both our '75 and '76 (both have the same battery).

Bob Napier

Edited by Napes

BMW batteries are great! My dad still has the original BMW battery in his 1988 E30IX it has never skipped a beat! Personally, in my '73 2002 I had a "duralast gold" battery with some massive amount of cold cranking amps (it gets cold in Utah) about 90 bucks IIRC. I use the non-tii battery tray to my advantage ;)post-36941-142548948777_thumb.jpg

Driving a vintage car always makes traveling an adventure.

As Bob (Napes) has in his cars, my '76 has a Group 47 battery, which fits perfectly in a square taillight non-tii's battery holder.

Here 'tis: Interstate MT-47, 590 CCA, 740 CA.

I know, I desperately need to paint the top black!

Regards,

Steve

post-41123-0-24240300-1425497252_thumb.j

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

BMW batteries are great! My dad still has the original BMW battery in his 1988 E30IX it has never skipped a beat! Personally, in my '73 2002 I had a "duralast gold" battery with some massive amount of cold cranking amps (it gets cold in Utah) about 90 bucks IIRC. I use the non-tii battery tray to my advantage ;)attachicon.gif1425489417260~2.jpg

Whoa, that's a big boy!

Group 24. Is the length 10 1/4" overall? Does it sit correctly in the battery tray, with the hold-down holding it in place? My Group 47 is 9 5/8" long overall, but there appears to be a touch more space available. The Group 24, assuming it fits correctly, looks like a nice upgrade.

Thanks and regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

Just throwing my 02¢ worth; I have a factory altenator (I'm sure it was replaced in its lifetime) with a les Shwaub battery that's 5 years old. Car starts up faster than anything I've owned and runs like a top.

I also have two sets of driving lights, and a stereo with a 1000w 4 channel amp and a separate 500w subwoofer amp. I've never seen the lights dim, even with everything turned on. I don't see what you'd need an upgraded altenator for other then piece of mind.

post-41531-0-77557900-1425642038_thumb.j

Edited by lilcphoto

Daily '74 BMW 2002 w/ Dual 40's

Signature

Visit my Wheelwell to see what I've done to the car

Steve, I think the color on the top of your battery looks OK - kinda like Tiaga or Mintgrun.

Bob Napier

Thank you, Bob, but when I look at the engine compartment as a whole, my eye gets drawn to the two least-original items: the battery and the coil!

Regards,

Steve

post-41123-0-15318300-1425637203_thumb.j

Edited by Conserv

What you guys think of AC Delco Battery

I have an AC Delco battery.  Type 47.  

024.jpg

Doesn't it look better, without that crooked sticker?

025.jpg

Here is a shot while standing back.  Plain old black battery blends nicely, imho.  I also went back to the original black coil, because the new one looked too... new.  Now for that silly little Weber filter...

034.jpg

I have an AC Delco battery.  Type 47.  

024.jpg

Doesn't it look better, without that crooked sticker?

025.jpg

Here is a shot while standing back.  Plain old black battery blends nicely, imho.  I also went back to the original black coil, because the new one looked too... new.  Now for that silly little Weber filter...

034.jpg

Oh, I'm liking that Delco, especially sans sticker! Now about that filter...

Regards,

Steve

Thanks guys!  A great amount of helpful info here.  I am flexible on size as my battery is relocated to the trunk.  Time to shop!

if in trunk...make sure you have a vent tube run from battery to outside trunk.  do not run a wet cell normal battery in the trunk without a vent.

even better. get an AGM battery.

2xM3

if in trunk...make sure you have a vent tube run from battery to outside trunk.  do not run a wet cell normal battery in the trunk without a vent.

even better. get an AGM battery.

Marshall,

I've got a  two questions regarding your AGM batteries:

How long have you had your Deka/"big crank" lasted? Without trouble?

More importantly, do AGM batteries go stale on the shelf the way an acid battery would? Found cheap online source so I won't know manufacturing date, think I'll take the chance on it. Especially if AGM batteries are less prone to expiring on the shelf.

Thanks

Peter