• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Leather-Rimmed Factory Steering Wheel: Guidance Needed

Conserv
Go to solution Solved by Conserv,

And just to muddy the waters, the pierced Euro wheel also was available with a wood rim.  I've seen one or two over the years.  

A certain FAQer just bought one of those recently.  

Scott 

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

Next time I'm going to mark my question answered after the first reply. First responder is correct; no one else needs to respond!

I already know much more than I likely need to know on this topic. Next some one will post that they watched the steering wheel factory burn while managers ran out with armloads of trim pieces -- and no 2 pieces were alike!

(I actually like the multiple suppliers explanation.)

Thanks and regards, All!

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

My bad, the CSI wheel trim pieces are definitely chrome plated, held by a screw from backside.  Just looked in the daylight.  Leather looks awesome on it, don't use fake stuff.  Mike,  I only have two large pieces for the backside of the wood wheel.  Just sold the fronts two days ago to an e9 guy, sorry.

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix

• Solution

So, in conclusion, the original trim pieces are cast or stamped, aluminum or steel, satin or shiny. As with so many of the "answers" we discover when we seek "The '02 Truth," uniformity of materials and treatment are more wishful thinking than fact.

It would appear, therefore, that I CANNOT GO WRONG in my approach to restoring these trim pieces! I like that. Maybe I'll do the first wheel one way, the second another way. My horizon opens up before me!

Thanks for all your assistance: I'm considering this consultation a huge success!

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

• 4 weeks later...

Reviving an old thread. I am currently refinishing a wood BMW sport wheel, and while the urethane dries, thought I would look at the imitation leather version I have in my collection. It seems someone stole the springs out of my horn button, so I opened it up. Unless I'm mistaken, the date code is 75. I wasn't aware they were offered that late.

IMG_20200325_110405.jpg

IMG_20200325_110430.jpg

IMG_20200325_110510.jpg

1974 Turkis -rusty

1974 Fjord -basket case

1954 GMC 100

2002 325it 5 speed sport wagon

1 hour ago, socal73 said:

Reviving an old thread. I am currently refinishing a wood BMW sport wheel, and while the urethane dries, thought I would look at the imitation leather version I have in my collection. It seems someone stole the springs out of my horn button, so I opened it up. Unless I'm mistaken, the date code is 75. I wasn't aware they were offered that late.

IMG_20200325_110405.jpg

IMG_20200325_110430.jpg

IMG_20200325_110510.jpg

Yes, a bit surprising, but not shocking. I suppose wheels produced this late were replacement parts as opposed to dealer accessories (yours is the U.S. style). I’ve regularly seen ‘72 and ‘73 dates on these, but this is the first square taillight-era date I’ve seen.

Thsnks for sharing this, complete with photographs!

Regards,

Steve

37 minutes ago, SydneyTii said:

Are these sort after and more expensive like the  Petri wheel? I think they look good with the nice leather rim.

I still regularly see U.S. versions in the U.S. for $100-$200. Euro versions are more expensive here but are reasonably priced outside of the U.S., where, shockingly, they are much more common.

The eBay listing for a Euro-spec version for $1,200, shown recently in another thread, was simply ludicrous. There were lots of these wheels made. They were manufactured from 1967 until — as we found out above —at least 1975. Most, today, however, need “re-leathering” or whatever one calls the process where you remove simulated leather and replace it with real leather! ?

These are, in my mind, nowhere near as rare or valuable as Petri’s. For heaven’s sake, they’re faux leather! I love them because they were a factory design and, thus, permit an upgrade from the standard wheel while remaining OEM.

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, uai said:

early ones are matte chrome late ones are glossy and e3/e9 wheels are larger and genuine lather

Thank you, Uli,

I’ve been waiting for you to weigh in for... five years! Your answer makes sense, as my “shiny-but-pitted” examples came off 1971 and 1972 wheels.

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv