• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FOUND A-pillar vinyl trim (schwarz)

jgerock

I've pulled the covers off the a & b pillars and as I recall, the vinyl material does not have backing (Esty can you confirm this).  what I have done is warm the newer vinyl (with cloth backing) with a hairdryer and then carefully pull the cloth backing from the vinyl.  it's  bit of a chore but the result is material that more closely resembles what I have found in these cars.  It is more compliant and is more likely to stay on when standard weatherstrip adhesive is used.

Gale H

Gale H.

71 2002 daily driver

70 2002 malaga (pc)

83 320i (pc)

http://hancockfabrics.com/store-locator/store-locator.html

i shop at hancocks and there's one in alexandria

Esty rocks! Went to the one in Alexandria on Route 1 and they had at least 4 different rolls of black vinyl. I bought what I think is a close match (Floridian Marine vinyl # 728576 per the receipt). 1/3 yard was $3.99. They also have auto headliner fabric in several colors (not the same as in our cars).

Thank you for your assistance!

Jim

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

to answer the question about foam backing...i believe, originally they did have foam backing...i don't think it was 1/2 inch, that would be very bulky and difficult to cover...i think it's more like 1/4 inch or less thick

why would anyone separate the vinyl film from the cloth backing?