• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Conversion to VW Disk Brakes

steve k.

33 minutes ago, 02dag said:

There are small differences between the mk2 and the mk4 calipers and carriers, but nothing your washers or in worst case a spacer won't handle..

In my opinion the mk2 caliper fits better inside a 13 inch wheel, for the mk4  caliper you need at least a 14 inch wheel. It's  not necessary to use the mk4 calipers when you have to grind off all of the cooling fins.

My wheels are 15” so that aspect is not an issue for me. 
it may be that I have to buy a pair of narrower wheels to compensate. Mine are 7” at the moment. I’ve already switched to 6” on the front for aesthetics so 6” on the back won’t be out of place.

Out of interest how much does the hub have to be machined down to fit the disc?

Phil

1975 1602 with an M42 engine.

Project thread http://www.02forum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=14853#p107713

I am running 15x7et30 at the moment. 3mm spacer in the front to get it from rubbing on the sway bar. Tires are 195/55/15. Absolutely no problem on the rear axle.

The answer to your question about the hubs is, quite significant. But you will see the exact measurement when you have the discs in your posession

• 2 months later...

Another question from me.

Has anyone used Mk4 calipers with MK2 carriers and mk2 rear discs? Reason I ask is that my sons golf has that set up and my Minilites fit perfectly over them with no spacer required to clear the caliper. The golf rear discs are 226mm so there is a difference in diameter. Would the issue be the adapter plate?

Phil

1975 1602 with an M42 engine.

Project thread http://www.02forum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=14853#p107713

• 1 month later...