• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Conversion to VW Disk Brakes

steve k.

• 2 months later...

I used the Ireland kit and it was a pure bolt on with no additional mods required.

be sure the brackets are correctly located 

if if you’re having problems give Ireland a call,  they’ve been very helpful for me on the conversion 

you up will need to shim as your car requires, each caliper takes a different spacing to fit just right 

406E539C-387A-4333-B8F5-3810D548C2AC.thumb.jpeg.f33c72ab8c047565807a4586409cfdbb.jpeg

9D19B5F6-D643-4EB7-B00A-1BD242AB55D4.thumb.jpeg.c9538a9fae8b1e8ca473b1cf2c6bc335.jpeg

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

22 hours ago, chargin said:

you up will need to shim as your car requires, each caliper takes a different spacing to fit just right 

are you just using washers for spacing? or spacers? if so, which spacers did you get?

• 1 month later...

I'm using this write up for my own disc conversion, but wanted to add some information in case it helps anyone else. I'm also using Mk4 calipers in the rear, and pulled them from a junkyard. I went to get them powder coated, and the VW forums would have you believe that you cannot rebuild these calipers. This is simply not the case, as reman units exist. If you're looking to do powdercoating, or just do a complete rebuild of these calipers, you need the Centric rebuild kit. 

It is made by Centric, and is PN: 143.33037. This includes all the seals, and clips needed to rebuild the caliper. I found this on eBay, do not buy it from ECS Tuning. You can find a write up on how to do the  rebuild here. It's a little more involved, but you can save a little bit over reman units, or get them powdercoated whatever color you want. 

Hope this helps someone, this was information that took a little bit to put together!

• 5 months later...

Interesting.  I may be wrong but I can't see where anyone mentions the VW MkIV caliper uses a banjo fitting that is M12x1.0 thread.  Ireland doesn't have a solution for this so I'm wondering what people are using.  Banjo bolts are easy to find on ECS but I'm not seeing a banjo that fits and has an M10x1.0 thread to fit the Ireland hose.

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 9:52 AM, benzintinte said:

I'm using this write up for my own disc conversion, but wanted to add some information in case it helps anyone else. I'm also using Mk4 calipers in the rear, and pulled them from a junkyard. I went to get them powder coated, and the VW forums would have you believe that you cannot rebuild these calipers. This is simply not the case, as reman units exist. If you're looking to do powdercoating, or just do a complete rebuild of these calipers, you need the Centric rebuild kit. 

It is made by Centric, and is PN: 143.33037. This includes all the seals, and clips needed to rebuild the caliper. I found this on eBay, do not buy it from ECS Tuning. You can find a write up on how to do the  rebuild here. It's a little more involved, but you can save a little bit over reman units, or get them powdercoated whatever color you want. 

Hope this helps someone, this was information that took a little bit to put together!

Related: I actually got a Remanufactured set that worked on the bench but on the car the E-Brake function did not fully function. 

Powder Coating is nice but I have had very good success with Caliper Paint without having to reseal and easy to touch up chips.

Note 2: The rear caliper just needs the bottom slider removed to bleed, this reduces bleeding to about 7 min per side  

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook