• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old School Oil Filter

steve k.

• Administrators

When i got a hold of my touring, it came with a canister style oil filter. Since it needed an oil change a few other things to be drivable i had to replace the filter with the style that every one else used. But now, since I have a nice stash of the filter replacements i put the parts back together to get it to be more original. 

All part for maintenance are still available, so putting things together was not a problems

Parts diagram

part numbers

Filter itself

filter

filter

It came with a card 

tag that came with the filter

The canister that I have.

canister

The spring, the bolt, and the gasket inside the canister.  All stays in place due to the gasket.

inside the canister

The mount is different from your standard one

canister holder

canister holder

canister holder

And all goes back in place.

Oil filter canister installed

You have to be under the car to get to the filter. That is a bit different then that I used to now.

Oil filter canister installed

Enjoy!

This post has been promoted to an article

Get your 2002 FAQ merchandise from 2002FAQ Store

Thats cool! Never seen that!! BMW really loves the canisters in the new ones I have noticed.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

3.0 CS coupes have the same type of filter system.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Yes, the E9 coupes have a similar bottom bolt canister setup, but the canister is bigger and takes a different filter element than the ones for the 2002

Many folks change over to a newer style top bolt canister from the later 5 series cars because the bottom bolt canister can be a little harder to change.  I use a big zip lock bag around the canister to catch the oil once the bottom bolt is a little bit loose.  Then just drop it in the bag.  I think the old style canisters look cool.

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

It would be kinda' cool to get one of the canister's replicated in glass and making a lamp out of one for a garage or something... In for group buy? Lol.

Very cool, I wish my car had one sort of :(

76' Fjord Daily SOLD

1986 528e 5 speed Daily

"I don't have a piece of sh*t so I have to envy yours!" - Ferris Bueller

The reason canisters are back in fashion on newer BMW's is environment. A proper shop leaves the fillters to be pressed to get as much oil as possible out. And there's less waste of metal.

Older canister filters from Mann had metal ends, and numbers starting with H***. Newer are all paper, sprayed and baked, and with numbers starting with HU***.

Edited by GreenSwede

Ola Gustafson
Sweden
-------------------
1975 Taiga Euro 2002 3685483 - Weber 38/38 DGMS - Pertronix Ignitor - H&R Cup Kit - TEP headers and Simons 2" sport exhaust - 3.91 LSD.

For you young guys, they're cool until you've change them a few times.  I never was so glad about oil filters when spin-on came along.  I can see the top loaders aren't the same mess, but I don't like the idea that the dirtiest oil in the system with all the trappings from the inlet side of the filter drains into the pan when the cover is removed.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.