• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vented Brakes Upgrade

Hey bud, 

Great set of videos and really helpful to see the process not just read about it. Im doing a similar booster-less setup with the Massive/ Tilton MC parts but ordered the BBK from IE so i have the dual line calipers:( I had planned on running a tee with a street 90 just above the caliper on the strut, then connecting the SS flex line there. I like that you used a bango bolt/fitting right at the caliper and eliminated the additional hardware. Do you have any thoughts on a way to link the two holes at the caliper and run a flex line right from there? 

Thanks

Wallonesch has front Turbo brake upgrade for tii for sale. I used this last year and the quality and delivery was spot on. Considering the amount of work to locate these parts piece by piece this is an easy solution and the shipping was reasonable.

IMG_0653.webp

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 3/17/2015 at 11:28 PM, administrator said:

For non-tii '02s, really there are two major options.

Hey, I would like to understand the following as of now this is what I understood so far:

• If you go with the more affordable and especially easier-to-get solution with "Volvo"-calipers you will definitely have a not so nice fitting, but working brake (pads), which many accept, but to make it more well engineered and how brakes are supposed to work, you need to do modifications to the hardware. Is that correct?
  • Are there other solutions than the mentioned ones? More specifically I am looking for a one that is completely bolt-on, but not racing kit stuff ($$$$). But I understood that the e21 + Volvo 240 solution seems to be the only options then?!
  • Side topic, but where this originates for me: How easy or often do the standard (non-vented) discs warp? Seems to be the case on mine ... https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic/72271-when-to-replace-the-rotors/?do=findComment&comment=1674696

If you do a big brake upgrade will the TUV sign off on it, I don't know but I've heard that this can be a real big deal.

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

2 hours ago, 02sahara said:

Hey, I would like to understand the following as of now this is what I understood so far:

• If you go with the more affordable and especially easier-to-get solution with "Volvo"-calipers you will definitely have a not so nice fitting, but working brake (pads), which many accept, but to make it more well engineered and how brakes are supposed to work, you need to do modifications to the hardware. Is that correct?
  • Are there other solutions than the mentioned ones? More specifically I am looking for a one that is completely bolt-on, but not racing kit stuff ($$$$). But I understood that the e21 + Volvo 240 solution seems to be the only options then?!
  • Side topic, but where this originates for me: How easy or often do the standard (non-vented) discs warp? Seems to be the case on mine ... https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic/72271-when-to-replace-the-rotors/?do=findComment&comment=1674696

Large (ti/tii/turbo) or small struts?
For large struts there's an easy fix available in germany (btw du bist nicht André, oder? wegen 02 sahara)
Just get the alpina repop discs and a set of 7mm widened ti Calipers available @ André Meisel

Plug'n play - TÜV? no problem!
If you have small struts get large ones and see above.
Anything else is not plug'n play and TÜV doesn't like it necessarily.
If you want even more brake you can go my route but expect it to be Factor 3-4 in costs.
I currently run 272x22 vented discs with porsche 911s calipers front and 258x10 discs with 914 calipers rear - this requires 14" wheels

Edited by uai
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/30/2024 at 8:36 AM, Henryn02 said:

Wallonesch has front Turbo brake upgrade for tii for sale….

IMG_0653.webp

€1300 ain’t that bad considering just the hubs themselves are €650/pr…

For shits’n’gigs I pulled out the old receipts for my cars Turbo brakes conversion, and it cost $1600 in 1998

But that’s both Front and Rear, plus a few important additional bits... ;)

Front $1041.60

Calipers, hubs, rotors, pads, dust shields, bearings, pins/springs, bolts/washers, etc.

But that price also included:

Tii struts w/Billy shocks, Tii booster & Tii master

Rear $288.82

Drums, wheel cylinders, shoes, backing plates, bias valve, adjustment parts

+  $212.00 for

Turbo stub axles, hubs, bearings, nuts/washers/etc

The Turbo brake discs were $174/pr and that’s still what they cost now (!)

The front hubs were $130/pr, but those are now $325/ea (!) — which I guess is a bargain since regular 02 hubs are $360/ea.  lol

So yeah, it’s obviously more expensive now, though some things haven’t changed as much as others. But you get  a sweet factory performance set-up..

Tom

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

the problem with the turbo brakes in front is the increase in trackwidth.
So it's not plug'n' play but plug, get other wheels or add flares and play

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, uai said:

the problem with the turbo brakes in front is the increase in trackwidth.
So it's not plug'n' play but plug, get other wheels or add flares and play

Late tii Front Track = 1342mm

Turbo Front Track = 1375mm

33mm greater Turbo Front Track

a) Turbo has 22mm wider Front Track due to the lower offset Turbo Wheels (biggest part of increased Track).

b) Turbo has 11mm wider Front Track due to the 5.5mm wider Turbo Front Wheel hubs

I didn’t find the additional 5.5mm upfront that big of a change…

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

Yes, there is a bolt- on solution for tii struts:

Early 5- series calipers

early E21 hubs

vented E21 rotors

done.

No hard to find parts, no turbs, no spacers, nothing.  fits and looks like it was always there.  Brake lines hook right up.

For the standard strut, no, there is not a simple list like the above.  

t

• Thanks 2

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

On 8/5/2024 at 8:59 PM, Son of Marty said:

If you do a big brake upgrade will the TUV sign off on it, I don't know but I've heard that this can be a real big deal.

I'm pretty sure the TÜV won't sign it off, that's why I'm looking for a solution without modifications – I barely believe that they would even sign off the Ireland Engineering kit, simply because of modifications made to parts.

@uai non-tii, so small struts. No, I'm Marvin :)

4 hours ago, TobyB said:

For the standard strut, no, there is not a simple list like the above.

Thank you – that's what I wanted to know!

I probably need to rebuild my standard calipers ... are the expensive tii struts and all the addtitional parts/costs worth it, or better rebuild (or buy a rebuilt) standard caliper and drive without vented discs? Is it more a nice-to-have and I-have-some-money-left-over upgrade?

21 minutes ago, 02sahara said:

I probably need to rebuild my standard calipers ... are the expensive tii struts and all the addtitional parts/costs worth it, or better rebuild (or buy a rebuilt) standard caliper and drive without vented discs? Is it more a nice-to-have and I-have-some-money-left-over upgrade?

Depends on usage and horsepower.
If you're doing trackdays or you're regularly driving through the alps or similar a vented brake is more or less a must.
However it only helps with cooling the pure stopping power doesn't  (apart from temperature related issues) change in between.
A set of good pads (e.g. Pagid RSH29) with good fluid (Motul RBS 660 or similar from Castrol or Ravenol) will help to tackle the temperature issue - but they are pricey as well but last probably 3 times longer than standard pads.

Edited by uai
  • Like 3

Comparing the Volvo option and the Turbo option, to what extent does each limit your choices among 13” rims? I thought the Volvo option interfered with some 13” rims. True? What about the Turbo option?

Thanks,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)