• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I am in the process of installing a rebuilt driveshaft on my 73 2002.  Replacing the leaky selector shaft seal on the 4 speed seemed like an easy thing to do since everything is apart already.  Unfortunately when I try to drive a new seal on top of the old one it won't budge.  

Is this what happens when there are already three seals installed? Or is it a case of needing a larger hammer? Or a different approach.

I have already tried using a short length of half inch pvc pipe and a small ball peen hammer to tap it in.  When that didn't work I tried using half-inch steel pipe with my dead blow hammer.  No luck.

Paul in West LA

A dumb question I'm sure, but why are you trying to drive a new one on top of the old one?

Because it is leaking :) .  More seriously, because previous posts in the archive indicated that this was the easiest way to install a new seal.  They also indicated that there was only room for three seals in the opening.  Which is entirely possible given that the 4-speed was probably installed used into the car by a previous owner who converted it from an automatic.

I used the same method for my new seal. Tapped it in with a small piece of PVC pipe and ball peen hammer. I did not have to use a lot of force. There is only so much room in there so if it has been done a few times before, you maybe out of room. Make sure the outside diameter of the pipe is smaller the the seal.

A dumb question I'm sure, but why are you trying to drive a new one on top of the old one?

This is a proven method of installing a new selector shaft seal as the old seal is pushed back on the shaft and will not interfere with anything.

Dont put another seal on top of the other... This is what we call a hack job! I tried this once too, I'll be honest. It went about halfway, got stuck, then I wrecked it pulling that one and the old one out. Get a HF/Lowes/Snap-on pick set and use the 90* or the 120* (i think it'st that angle) pick and pull the old one out. It's not easy but totally doable in the car! Then when you're done pound the new one in and be done with it. I'll say again so it's in the archives REMOVE THE OLD SEAL

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

Hence my question. I'd never heard of punching in the old one. I'd use a dental pick to pull it out so new one will sit properly.As I understand it, this can be done with tranny in car.

Edited by Hans