• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'72 Baikal tii: Seat color mismatch 9see pix)

COOP

Good ideas here.  I've scrubbed my brown 69 seats twice and they still look dirty.  Will try the GOOP method and Shop Vac.   Replacement D.S. seatback pad on order from BLUNT.

IMG_9103_zps509842a9.jpg

IMG_9102_zpsdfc4ab9e.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

My first o2 ('69 manila) had the tobacco interior.  That was a long (LONG) time ago.  Before these posts, I had forgotten what a really "rich" brown color it is and how attractive it is with so many of the BmW colors of that era.  The fact that you can still "clean-it-up" to any degree is really pretty amazing.  I suppose it just depends on where the car was and if it was being taken care of at all.  Obviously a car in Arizona (or a dry/hot place) under a car port wouldn't matter much if you used Goop, Pooop or whatever the hell.  In this day and age lots of so-called high tech stuff it seems to bring back leather, vinyl, plastic etc.,

http://www.alpinabmw2002.com

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

New factory seat back/seat bottom gummihar pads with correct (perforated-style), matching Tobacco Brown vinyl - all stitched together by Franzini Brothers Upholstery in San Rafael, California.

Please tell us where the correct pads were sourced.  

Jim Gerock

On 5/4/2015 at 8:47 PM, jgerock said:

Please tell us where the correct pads were sourced.

Jim,

I believe COOP's car has the BMW OEM seat pads (postings #'s 29, 30, and 31). I thought there would be a problem because BMW no longer uses different pads for early and late ('75-'76) seats, and late seats seem to have much more "bucket" than earlier seats. But, somehow, the same pads work across many years' seats!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

• 1 month later...

No idea but I'll ask JP what he ordered. What I can say is that the pads we received fit perfectly and required no modifications.

COOP

Bump on this.  I ordered an incorrect seat back pad for my 69 then returned it to BLUNT at the Vintage NC event.  

I have a used passenger side seat back pad from a 70 but I'd like to buy a new one if still available.

jim

Jim Gerock

I asked once and the response was "we just ordered pads for your year from the dealer." I'll try again for the part numbers.

Thanks,

COOP

Thanks COOP.  My local dealer loves it when I show up with BMW part numbers.  I'm relying on BLUNT for this purchase so Steve (and I) would like to know the part numbers.  The first pad I/we ordered came from Germany and was for a later model seat.

2D8844F6-0F8B-4496-8EA5-F5F4F099BC88_zps

F8A2869F-5882-4FF4-9C33-7334BBB3119C_zps

3FEF0666-B923-44E7-9E04-D7368079FA6A_zps

3AFEDB41-C869-4136-A588-DD42C09D17AC_zps

Would be nice if someone added the applications to the part numbers

Seat%20pads%20graphic_zpsmhgxdtyk.jpg

Jim Gerock

• 2 years later...

Coop--Just wondering about your '72 2002 in Baikal with the Tobacco interior. Does it have a sunroof?  I bought my car in Charlotte on 5-31-72. It's Malaga (sunroof) with the Tobacco interior. The Baikal 2002 I originally ordered was in Tennessee and sold out from under me.  I always wondered what happened to that car.  My 2002 is in my garage.

IMG_2169.JPG

1972- 2002, 1973 Turkis 3.0CS  BMW CCA #1315

• 2 months later...
On 5/9/2018 at 4:40 PM, 2002Drew said:

Coop--Just wondering about your '72 2002 in Baikal with the Tobacco interior. Does it have a sunroof?  I bought my car in Charlotte on 5-31-72. It's Malaga (sunroof) with the Tobacco interior. The Baikal 2002 I originally ordered was in Tennessee and sold out from under me.  I always wondered what happened to that car.  My 2002 is in my garage.

IMG_2169.JPG

COOP’s fabulous Baikal tii, now in a European collection, was a factory Sahara car that he found, more-or-less abandoned, in a New York City parking garage. Virtually all U.S.-spec Baikal metallic cars came with Black interiors. COOP did a beautiful color-change repaint to his car, leaving the Sahara car’s original Tobacco interior in place. As it was, at least in my opinion, the combination of Baikal exterior and Tobacco interior is far nicer than the factory’s combination of Baikal exterior and Black interior!

Your car, by the way, looks very loved, and very Europeanized!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)